Students and teachers from the University of Hong Kong (HKU) have found a boundary monument originally depicted on Hong Kong’s oldest scientifically surveyed map, the Ordnance Map of Hong Kong of 1845 by Lt. Thomas Bernard Collinson Royal Engineers. The boundary stone, identified as “B.O. No4”, is located in Lei Yun Mun Park and Holiday Village in Sai Wan Shan and was set in the early days of the British presence in Hong Kong.

The stone is damaged by heavy bombardment from the Japanese invasion in 1941, yet all of the original markings are still legible.

Congratulations to the students and teachers of HKU’s Department of Real Estate and Construction for this amazing find!

References:

Wendell Harness, PLS

Wendell was a Land Surveyor for 26 years, then moved on to building websites for his second career. But he never lost sight of the surveying community and the other disciplines related to surveying. He’s purposely stayed involved in the surveying industry because he has always been — and will continue to be — a Land Surveyor at heart.

View all posts by Wendell Harness, PLS

Leave a Reply