Emlid Launches REACH RS2 Multi-Band RTK GNSS Receiver with Centimeter Precision

Emlid Launches REACH RS2 Multi-Band RTK GNSS Receiver with Centimeter Precision

Emlid Reach RS2

Multi-band RTK GNSS receiver for $1899

Emlid, the creators of Reach, centimeter-accurate RTK GNSS receiver, launched pre-orders for their multi-band GNSS receiver Reach RS2. The new receiver features built-in LoRa radio, 3.5G modem and a survey app for iOS and Android.

L1/L2/L5 RTK GNSS receiver with centimeter precision

Reach RS2 gets fixed solution in seconds and provides positional accuracy down to several millimeters. The receiver tracks GPS/QZSS (L1, L2), GLONASS (L1, L2), BeiDou (B1, B2), Galileo (E1, E5), and SBAS (L1C/A) and reliably works in RTK mode on distances up to 60 km, and 100 km in PPK mode. Multi-feed antenna with multipath rejection offers robust performance even in challenging conditions.

RINEX raw data logs are compatible with OPUS, CSRS-PPP, AUSPOS, and other PPP services so you can now get centimeter-precise results in any place on Earth.

Built-in 3.5G modem and UHF LoRa radio

Reach RS2 features a power-efficient 3.5G HSPA modem with 2G fallback and global coverage. The corrections can be accessed or broadcasted over NTRIP independently, without relying on Internet connection on your smartphone.

For remote areas, Reach RS2 has built-in LoRa radio that has proven to be a reliable link for RTK corrections on distances up to 8 km.

Designed for tough conditions

Reach RS2 is engineered to be waterproof and impact-resistant. Its body is manufactured in a two-step injection process and is made out of shockproof polycarbonate covered in a special elastomer for extra protection. The receiver has an industry-standard 5/8’’ mounting thread.

The LiFePO4 battery of Reach RS2 is designed for 16 hours work as 3.5G RTK rover on one charge regardless of weather conditions. No more need to carry spare batteries with you. Reach RS2 can charge from a USB wall charger or a power bank over USB-C.

RS232 interface allows to connect Reach RS2 directly to external hardware and output position in NMEA.

Survey with ReachView app

Reach RS2 comes with a mobile app ReachView for iOS and Android, that is used to control all the features of the device. Create projects, collect and stakeout points. Import and export geodata in industry standard formats such as CSV, DXF, and ESRI Shapefile.

Reach RS2 is now available for pre-order for $1899

Reach RS2 comes in a carry bag with a USB-C cable and a LoRa radio antenna. ReachView app is available for download from Play Market or App Store.

Shipping of the first batch starts in mid-June 2019.

See the full specs and pre-order Reach RS2 on Emlid website: https://emlid.com/reachrs2

Get in touch with Emlid Team: https://emlid.com/contact

You may also like...

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of

35 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Paul in PA
1 year ago

I am not seeing much on how Emlid does this. First it is not using GPS L5 so I am assuming they are just using L1C and L2C but not more complicated analysis. It does not state that it can use SBAS ranging techniques, so I assume that is out.This great price is for a GNSS RTK rover, but I do not see how RTK base function works and at what cost? I do see an L1 RTK rover at less than 1/2 the price, so that reinforces my thoughts on their methodology.Does Emlid have a dealer base?Has their antenna… Read more »

Nate The Surveyor
1 year ago

RTK will eventually become a more at-cost product. R & D is still in full swing.Prices can drop alot, and still maintain a profit. But, R & D will slow down, or suffer. Cell phones are similar. New products are still $800+. Old technology, new box, are down at 100$.I don’t expect alot of well organized cogo, and data management at that price. But, if it allows an interface with some existing data collector, it could be a game changer. Well, we will be watching.N

kotuku4
1 year ago

I see that previous model Reach RS+ used with data collectors (windows mobile) and SurvCE via WiFI using generic GPS setting. Field Genius is being released on Android, and would be nice to see SurvCE on Android.  I ran a demo of Geomax X-pad on android and liked it, but could not buy the software/ license alone from NZ dealer. The Reachview app is basic and free to download app.  The firmware for the receivers and the app do seem to get regular updates. I doubt this equipment is intended for full time professional survey use, but it will be… Read more »

ACD Surveyor
1 year ago

I wouldn’t mind trying it if there is a return policy.  With technology changing so quick nothing stays current for very long, so for that price it may be worth the price.

A Harris
1 year ago

It is near impossible to read my Samsung S5 or Note4 in sunshine.I would also have to clear out most of the apps to contain the software.It would be great if it would run and/or store data to a micro sd card.Going to stay tuned for more info………..

gschrock
1 year ago

I’ve contacted them about doing a quick test. They won’t have any of that model in the US until the end of April. Trying to arrange meeting them at a conference and setting up a test area nearby. Will post as soon as we have any data

Mark O
1 year ago

I guess I’ll be holding off on an new RTK unit for a couple months. It sucks we’re still buying new data collectors running soon to be obsolete and no longer supported Windows 6.5 Mobile. It was bound to happen, how soon before Carlson writes SurvCE app on Android?

Mark Silver
1 year ago

Engine (I think): https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/zed-f9p-module Gavin: Are you going to get a pair or a net-rover? (I volunteer Mr. Robot to test on, try to get a serial cable.)Antenna Calibration: relative or absolute?Radio: FCC Certified yet?

gschrock
Reply to  Mark Silver

So many unknowns at this point. Will ask all of those.
First look will be at a conference at the end of April when they have will have a pair on this side of the pond…
Both very skeptical and somewhat excited at the same time…

Mark O
1 year ago

Never heard of the ZED boards, but here are some of the specs:184-channel u-blox F9 engineGPS L1C/A L2C, GLO L1OF L2OF,GAL E1B/C E5b, BDS B1I B2I,QZSS L1C/A L2CNav. update rate RTK up to 20 Hz1Position accuracy2 RTK 0.01 m + 1 ppm CEPConvergence time2 RTK < 10 sec

detritalgeo
1 year ago

Were you able to meet? Or is there an NDA…

gschrock
Reply to  detritalgeo

Have not been able to get a hold of some to try out. One of their staff is in the US for some conferences, and we’ve arranged for a surveyor bud who will meet him at a conference later this month to do a quick test out in the parking lot (simple inverse comparisons). If it looks like it truly can do survey grade, then will get two to do more formal testing. Chip specs look good; cautiously excited… Will be trying out another low-cost option soon from an outfit called Tersus… there is a whole wave of low cost… Read more »

detritalgeo
Reply to  gschrock

Yeah, Tarsus even have a basic ‘survey’ Android app called Nwua… which will also work with NMEA.

gschrock
Reply to  detritalgeo

Yep. Looking forward to trying out their ‘David’ base-rover pair. Awaiting shipment. Chip and antenna specs look great, but like any new gear: cautiously excited.

lukenz
1 year ago

For New Zealand its a non-starter given the radio frequencies we have to use are 463-470mHz range and cell coverage may be ok in the cities but not for rural work.  Guessing the frequencies must suit the US or Europe users?

detritalgeo
Reply to  lukenz

In Canada, I believe 430-470 MHz. must be licensed where as the split-spectrum 900 MHz is license free?

SmokeyKBear
4 months ago
Reply to  lukenz

Given the Emlid Reach RS2 uses LoRa spread spectrum, it fits the criteria for use in NZ also: https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2019-go1588 & https://www.rsm.govt.nz/licensing/frequencies-for-anyone/short-range-devices-gurl/ – A word of advice though – it pays to make sure you’ve bought your gear from someone authorised to sell RCM compliance labelled equipment…

gschrock
1 year ago

Well, it turns out the new Emlid is the real-deal… or at least real enough.I had been pestering Emlid to get a hold of a pair of them to see if they were an improvement on the older models… to see if they were closer to survey-grade, rather than the older mapping grade ones. They did not have any in the US (yet), but their rep was at a UAS conference last week, and I asked a surveyor bud (who was attending) to take the one they had outside and shoot both ends of a tape, then check inverses.  They… Read more »

detritalgeo
Reply to  gschrock

Excellent News. I have a pair ordered with an ETA of June, and will be testing them out for my Mapping needs.
I am just a bit north in Vancouver, Canada so feel free to use them for testing if you need.

gschrock
Reply to  detritalgeo

sent msg….

Totalsurv
Reply to  gschrock

Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes. These could be very useful for us for when we have an extra pair of hands on a job,

FrozenNorth
Reply to  gschrock

Thanks for the leadership on this and sharing the play-by-play.

jmdjamis
Reply to  gschrock

This is quite exciting news. I’ve been following this forum and periodically browsing the web to find some test results for the Reach RS2 and this is the first time I’ve seen numbers. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing more information on this in the coming months.

gschrock
Reply to  jmdjamis

To be fair; I’m test driving 4 new rovers (in the same price-point range, e.g. the Tersus David, just did the Sokkia GCX3) and am finding similar decent results. There is a wave of these new affordable new systems (and more on the way). The short story bis that the ‘magic’ of high precision (and multi-constellation)  is not as hard to solve as it used to be. There are different value propositions and I still like the high end gear (and will continue to use those for critical work). Eyeing a 5th kit… Nice to have options for all tastes.… Read more »

Jeffrey Diamond
11 months ago

Has anyone gotten these yet? Any tests out there for prospective buyers?

SmokeyKBear
6 months ago

We bought a pair of RS2’s and in a quick and dirty test, we occupied the same benchmark with both the RS2 and our trusty old Leica GS12. Each occupation was 60 seconds, using ntrip corrections from the nearest Smartnet CORS base, and we averaged the positions over that time. Occupations were about 5 minutes apart. Both were within 20mm XY and 30mm Z, when compared to the benchmark coords, and within 1mm of each other.

Nimal
10 months ago

Has anyone had a chance to hand on the newest Tersus Oscar receiver? One step ahead it has the calibration free tilt option. I believe it is more or less similar to Reach RS2. Anybody has the idea of performance and pricing?

Mark O
10 months ago

I thought about getting one, but opted for a slightly used South Galaxy G1. Very similar to the Trimble R10. It processes GPS L5 which was key for me. I’m not sure the Reach RS2 does?

Bryce
4 months ago
Reply to  Mark O

gnss l5, but no sbas and a few other things that are supposed to be added with firmware updates in the future.

detritalgeo
9 months ago

Finally received my dual reciever..Haven’t had time to evaluate yet.

IMG 20190823 0937204 copy 01 1280x720 01

pls3337
9 months ago

I would like to know how this works out for you as well. I have been looking at this, not so much as a daily driver, but for those little quick things, and GCPs for drone work.

A Harris
9 months ago

I would like to know how well it connects to WDS & Trimble network.

FairleyWell
9 months ago
Reply to  A Harris

@A Harris It will not connect to AllTerra Central’s (Formerly WDS) RTKNET. The way that the network was set up originally was to be a “Trimble only” network.  As of right now, if you are capable of consuming CMRp, there is a chance you would be able to log on, but you would only get GPS corrections.  You would not receive GLONASS, Galileo, etc. corrections. You may be able to connect to Trimble’s VRSNow or RTX Fast, but you will need to keep in mind that the corrections are broadcast in a worldwide projection and not NAD83(2011).  You will have… Read more »

jt50
9 months ago

So I received my RS2 yesterday and did some testing. I got only 1 unit for testing but could not do a baseline static because my other units are on project sites. Did a fast static observation and got the following RINEX file:3.03 OBSERVATION DATA M: Mixed RINEX VERSION / TYPERTKCONV 2.4.3 b33 20190828 111643 UTC PGM / RUN BY / DATE log: D:Downloadsraw_201906271253_base.UBX COMMENT format: u-blox COMMENT 10hz COMMENT MARKER NAME MARKER NUMBER MARKER TYPE OBSERVER / AGENCY REC # / TYPE / VERS ANT # / TYPE -769312.3636 -5456452.8445 3201623.8126 APPROX POSITION XYZ 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 ANTENNA: DELTA H/E/NG… Read more »

Bryce
4 months ago

I placed an order to try one out, I found one of their dealers in Minnesota that was being cool and only taking orders when they had fedex confirmation they where actually shipped, instead of pre order and hope lol

Count on NLC Prep!
Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top