On January 22, 2016, the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) collaborated with 18 surveying-related organizations to brainstorm ideas on how to improve and strengthen the surveying profession into the future. The kick-off meeting, called theNCEES Future of Surveying Forum, was held in San Diego, California and marks the first time that such a diverse group of varying perspectives have come together in an effort to identify and work together to improve the surveying industry.
According to an article on the NCEES website, one of the keyimprovements needed is to improve the profession’s overall image and public awareness.
In addition, xyHt Magazine attended the event and has said they will continue to follow and report on the progress of this collaboration.
Here is a list of the organizations with links (where applicable) that were represented at the Forum:
- ACEC Council of Professional Surveyors (COPS)
- American Association for Geodetic Surveying (AAGS)
- American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS)
- ASCE Utility Engineering and Surveying Institute (UESI)
- The American Surveyor magazine
- Bureau of Land Management
- Colonial States Boards of Surveyor Registration (CSBSR)
- International Federation of Surveyors (FIG)
- National Association of County Surveyors (NACS)
- National Geodetic Survey (NGS)
- National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS)
- Point of Beginning magazine
- NCEES Emerging Engineers and Surveyors Group
- Surveying and Geomatics Educators Society (SaGES)
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- Western Federation of Professional Surveyors (WFPS, WestFed)
- xyHt magazine