Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?

Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?

From the U. S. Department of Energy’s Office of Electricity:

On April 6, 2019, there will be an event affecting the electric transmission and distribution system that has industry concerned about the potential for a major disruption.  During the Week Number rollover of the Global Positioning System (GPS), the week number that uses the 10-bit binary system will reach its limit of 1,024 weeks and will be forced to roll over and be reset to week 0.

For more details, please read this excellent article by Gavin Schrock, PLS at xyHt Magazine.

You may also like...

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of

76 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Shelby H. Griggs PLS

I will let you know on April 7th!SHG

Eric Kara
1 year ago

This is Leica’s response on there “Myworld” website. They have been affected by these rollovers in the past, so will be crossing my fingers at 12:01am.”GPS Week RolloverOccurring 6 April 2019, the transmitted GPS week number in the navigation message will rollover from 1023 to 0. All currently operational Leica Geosystems GNSS receivers will not be affected by this rollover.Nevertheless, to ensure the best possible performance, it is a good practise to use the latest firmware. Please refer to the myWorld portal or contact your local Leica Geosystems representative to obtain the latest firmware versions.”

idest

Two more GPS Week related tech bulletins:   Spectra Trimble

antcrook
Reply to  idest

Topcon also has a list of receivers that will get the firmware upgrade and which ones will not.

A Harris
1 year ago

@ Mark SilverWill this affect Ashtech and ProMark series GPS units?

idest
Reply to  A Harris

I have not been able to find anyone to comment on much of the legacy gear (of any type). And in most cases, when I get a hold of an engineer at (any of the) manufacturers, they were not working there when legacy models were more common. I’ll keep trying…

A Harris
1 year ago

Hope my Promark 3s are not blow out of use by this.@Mark Silver, any knowledge about their use after the rollover?

Mark Silver
Reply to  A Harris

I honestly don’t know, however I suspect that the PM3’s will fail. I also doubt new firmware will be made available for them. I also suspect that it will be possible to fix the errant RINEX with a software shim.
My semi-official responce can be found here: http://ymlp.com/zDSqbb

george tsipas
Reply to  A Harris

PROMARK 3 & GNSS SOLUTION   I am a owner of a pair of promark 3 . After the gps week rollover after I was download the data from rover and the base at the same time the program crash down ( the program don’t respond) SOLUTION STEP 1 CREATE NEW PROJECT (par example TEST 1) DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM ONE UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER) IMPORT EXIT FROM PROGRAM STEP 2 RUN GNSS SOLUTION OPEN EXISTING PROJECT (TEST 1) DOWNLOAD OR IMPORT DATA FROM THE SECOND UNIT ONLY (BASE OR ROVER) IMPORT PROCCESS AND AJUST All the static… Read more »

toivo1037
1 year ago

I did not see an issue with my old receivers (using for static work) on the last rollover.  Hoping that is the case again. I will be testing the following week for sure.

True Corner
1 year ago

For TBC users won’t “Fix-Week” fix this latest rollover?

Mark Silver
1 year ago

This is an URGENT NOTICE for users of the following GNSS receivers:ProFlex 500, ProFlex 800MobileMapper 100, 120ProMark 100, 120, 200, 220, 700, 800SP 20, 60, 80, 90mContinue reading [ https://ymlp.com/zDSqbb ]. The official Spectra Geospatial note is here [

]

Mark O
Reply to  Mark Silver

Mark,

My PM 220’s are not up to date, do I just run the .cab file? I’m a bit reluctant as I just bricked one trying to reload software.

James Vianna
Reply to  Mark Silver

From Marks article:
“it is my guess that the PM2/PM3 receivers will fail on rollover. In addition, I believe that the desktop tool ‘GNSS Solutions’ will probably also fail.”
It will be a bad day for me should this occur. Both the PM3 and GNSS Solutions have served me well over the years and produced some excellent static work for a next to nothing cost. They were a good tool for me to cut my teeth into GPS.
Now I know just enough to be dangerous, 😋
Jim

Larry Scott
Reply to  James Vianna

If the date is wrong gnss will fail. Convert to rinex and fix the dates, download a broadcast eph. Import the edited rinex into gnss.

george tsipas
10 months ago
Reply to  James Vianna

Mark O
Reply to  Mark Silver

Mark,

Bryce
Reply to  Mark Silver

Is it a safe bet that GNSS Solutions will be affected?

A Harris
Reply to  Mark Silver

After 8in of rain thru 3days and nights ended, on Monday I was able to setup three PM3s in the back yard and only one needed updating and the one I use for rover needed reset.
All were reading 9 sats and knew where they were.
Will see in a week or so if they are collecting data and will load into GNSS Solutions.
GNSS Solutions has had me to process only one location at a time since some time last year.
Hoping it will still work………….. 🤔

Mark Silver
1 year ago

ProMark 100, 120, 200, 220 + MobileMapper 100, 120:Download the update file from the Trimble file source. Put it (as a .CAB file) on an SD card. The SD card should be 4GB or less so that the device can read it.                Link: http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-907151/PM5_V2.5.aW215Hm27.CAB Make sure device battery is fully (or very nearly fully) charged.Turn on the device. Wait for it to fully boot.From the ‘File Explorer’ on the mobile device (NOT ON YOUR PC!) navigate to the card and then click on the .CAB file. The installer will auto-run. (You can find the ‘File Explorer’ under Start(flag), Programs then drag… Read more »

Siim Randveer
Reply to  Mark Silver

Thank you very very much for this post! It helped me a lot! One device (I have a whole lot of Ashtechs and Spectras here to fix) still doesn´t want to go through the entire installation process. Could you please give me a clue what could go wrong? I think the process stops in the beginning of “GNSS Upload”…

Siim Randveer
Reply to  Siim Randveer

Now another Ashtech Promark100 has a same kind of problem. Although installation process seems to run smoothly finally I can´t choose a tracking mode in GNSS Toolbox anymore- “The current option is not available!”. I get messages like that “2.70 Bad parameter on port F” and “30.13 No GNSS detected”. It seems to be a problem related to older devices (Ashtechs Promark 100) because Spectra MobileMapper 120 are fine after firmware installation. Is there some things I can try to solve this problem? After the installation the GNSS Toolbox>About is like that:                GNSS Toolbox Version: 2.0.5                GNSS Service: Version 2.5.a               … Read more »

Siim Randveer
Reply to  Siim Randveer

Is it possible that firmware installation still doesn’t help my Ashtechs and Spectras? The first firmware installation I thought was successful turned out to be a failure. GNSS device showed a correct date and also the post-processing raw data file name had the right day and year numbers but nevertheless it was impossible to do the post-processing – the measurements start time was 20 years off…
Is it important that the firmware update was done after April 6th? Not all the GNSS devices doesn’ t have the latest software – is this the reason why installation fails?

Survtask
Reply to  Mark Silver

Have you heard the latest on Rollover week, my promark 2s are not processing data.  I am using Ashtech Solutions.  I only use Promark 2s once every couple of months so I was not in the loop at the time of the rollover.  Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

David Livingstone
1 year ago

I know one issue I have is upgrading the Firmware in my Hiper II’s.  I am running a couple of newer Rangers with my GPS and when I upgrade the firmware, they stop working.  It appears that after doing this in the past and having problems I would have to pay for an OAF file or Legacy file for the Hipers to make them work with the Rangers if I upgrade firmware.  I’m hoping to get by doing nothing.

spyropas
1 year ago

I have PM500 with v4 firmware could i update to the v6.8 ? And what about the fast survey software of the MMCX controller in v2.3.5? Is there any chance of incompatibility  ?

Mark Silver
1 year ago

Monday 25 March 2019: Update (#4 I think): PM2 and PM3 should survive with no firmware update:See [

] for latest update including additional information on:  MobileMapper CE, CX, 6, 10 20  ProMark 2, 3  EPOCH 10,25

James Vianna
Reply to  Mark Silver

Mark, thank you very much for staying on top of this. Hopefully GNSS will survive.
Jim

Jules J.
Reply to  Mark Silver

Thank you for the update Mark.

A Harris
Reply to  Mark Silver

Mark, this news will allow me stop banging my head against a post about my PM3s for the time being.
Will see what the rollover brings.
🍺

Dave Karoly
Reply to  A Harris

I have a lot of good memories using my PM3 receivers.  I sold them, of the three one wasn’t working but I shipped all three. When I was using them 15 to 10 years ago they would get more satellites than the Trimble 4700s and 4800s I was using at work.  Processed them in GNSS Solutions with really amazing results.  GNSS solutions had a really handy ground coordinate system generator, I would routinely check coordinate pairs with my Total Station in under a hundredth. The stop&go was like super cheap RTK, worked great.  I even used them to stake out… Read more »

cid.a.martins
Reply to  Dave Karoly

Hi Dave,

I still work with promark 3 receivers and they haven’t let me down after the rollover. The GNSS solutions still works with a workaround method, where you have to import the receivers one at a time, but i’m really curious about the stop&go for staking out.
Could you tell me about it or give me any insight about this technique ?
3′ would really work for me and would save me a lot of time.

leegreen
1 year ago

Surprising Topcon just released NEW firmware for the old Hiper Lite series and most of their other GPS receivers this month, for the April Rollover.To download go to https://www.topconpositioning.com/gpsrollover#feature-110916

toivo1037
Reply to  leegreen

‘End of life’ my butt.  These things still collect data – they are still alive and kicking.  Hopefully they still work in a couple of weeks.

Dave Karoly
Reply to  leegreen

I updated the two GR3s we still have.  The file light wouldn’t come on.  It turns out the file system needs to be initialized.  I got a green REC light on one, initializing the other one.
The FC500 controller is dead, on charge now so can’t test RTK yet but can test static.
So the moral of the story is you may lose all the files still on the receiver so download them if necessary.  The last use these ones saw was two years ago so they were downloaded long ago.

Jim Frame
1 year ago

I was surprised to see that the PM2 isn’t affected.  I haven’t turned mine on in about a decade, but apparently they still work.

Dave Karoly
1 year ago

According to the email from Trimble we need at least firmware version 2.32; we have 4.84 on three R4-3 receivers and 5.35 on three R8s receivers so we should have a go for launch.

Eric Kara

“GPS Week Rollover

idest
1 year ago

A new WNRO resource page from Unavco (the folks that run the Earthscope PBO GNSS array). They have links to info for all of the models/makes they have (or have had) in their inventory,  and results of some of their own tests (and an interesting video of one of those tests).

toivo1037
1 year ago

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!GPS rollover is upon us!I set 5 nails in the yard yesterday, in a line 5 feet apart.  I collected 2.5 hours of data with 5 receivers, 1 new Javad, and 4 older units.  I will download and process the data myself against a local CORS station and compare the results.  I will also upload each file to OPUS to verify their software is getting the same results as mine, and everything is 5ft apart and in a line.  Next week I will repeat the procedure and see if the results match.  I… Read more »

RETIRED69
Reply to  toivo1037

I tested some Promark Xcm units … dates were about 19-1/2 years off(August 1999), but everything else “appears”, okay … we shall see once I re-learn how to download the data, make Rinex files and how I used to change the dates on the Rinex files.
BTW … I have 14 Promark Xcm’s, and they look virtually brand new. I plan on giving 4-5 to a buddy in southern Ohio, might keep 2-3 and would like to find someone who could use what’s left …

John

Bill93
1 year ago

I don’t think you need a careful test of accuracy.  With this change, either it will process or it won’t.’

leegreen
1 year ago

I was told Topcon ran some tests. They concluded that receivers made after 1999 will survive tomorrows rollover, even without the suggested firmware updates. Basically, those that do not update the firmware will have clock issues that will likely take much longer to initialize. However, accuracy should not be affected.

Javad GNSS
Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top