Community Forums

Was fixing to Drive...

Share:

Was fixing to Drive to Libby  

Page 1 / 2

Rankin_File
(@rankin_file)
2,500+ posts

Today to recon some control.... decided against it.  

93181FEA E878 4FCA A28A BE084914845C

13 Replies
1 Reply
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: Rankin_File

Today to recon some control.... decided against it.  

93181FEA E878 4FCA A28A BE084914845C

Wimp!!! 😉 

RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts

A bunch of snow fell on us last night and this morning; 4 inches here in Puyallup.

Just about shut this town down! The news was all over it; all morning long; amazing...

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

The ACs are on today to keep my motherboards from melting.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
250+ posts

I drove a Hamster Car up and over Wolf Creek pass two weeks ago in a blizzard without chains.......  Just give it a chance....  😉

2 Replies
FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)

2,500+ posts
Posted by: Jitterboogie

I drove a Hamster Car up and over Wolf Creek pass two weeks ago in a blizzard without chains.......  Just give it a chance....  😉

One of these ???

hamster

😎

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

250+ posts
Posted by: FL/GA PLS.
Posted by: Jitterboogie

One of these ???

hamster

😎

Close!

It was this:

Non_turbo Base model........

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

Maybe it is a cultural thing but we in the south do not "fixing", we always "fixin".....no g at the end.

Is it an educational thing? 

1 Reply
paden cash
(@paden-cash)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: Just A. Surveyor

Maybe it is a cultural thing but we in the south do not "fixing", we always "fixin".....no g at the end.

Is it an educational thing? 

Interestingly (to me anyway), a few years ago on the TV game show "Wheel of Fortune" a contestant's answer was denied as correct because the final "g" in a word ending in "ing" was not pronounced.  There was little the contestant could do because of a waiver they sign prior to the show acknowledging the judges as the final say on any answer.  But it did start a minor firestorm on social media about whether the Southern enunciation that so often 'drops' the "g" is proper or not.

I'm not sure if anybody's mind was changed, but I did agree with one scholar's explanation.  He asserted that while the spelling may include the letter "g" common vernacular in some areas of the country choose to make it a silent "g".  One argument exampled the pronunciation by some folks of the word "about" spoken as "aboot".  I felt that was a good example of regional dialect defying phonetics.

I also drop the "g" sound in my speech (have all my life) and don't consider it improper English.  But my personal English also includes the word "gonna" as a contraction of the two words "going to". 😉

Page 1 / 2