Community Forums

Unfortunate web page photo  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

Allen Wrench
(@allen-wrench)
100+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 5:25 am  

Maybe if the traffic was super slow... but those cars look like they are absolutely hauling @ss past him, judging by the blurs.

ReplyQuote
FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls)
2,500+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 6:11 am  
Posted by: Daniel Ralph

I wonder how this happens. It gives me the willies every time I log onto it. 

https://bellevuewa.gov/city-government/departments/civic-services/land-survey/survey-control-map

Perhaps you should suggest they have their website redesigned by Harness Media LLC, a five star rated company.  😎 

"I,d rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"....Jimmy Buffett
"All I know is, if you look around at the human race you've got to wonder what the hell God was thinking!" ...Lee Marvin, "Paint Your Wagon"

A. Sellman and RADAR liked
ReplyQuote
JERRY ATTRICK
(@jerry-attrick)
100+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 8:51 am  

What's the big deal? Looks like turn lanes, so he is probably not within 1' of traffic. I can see the top of one cone, maybe there are more and signage and a flagman/watcher. Can't tell from the photo. How often is it a sunny, short-sleeve day in Bellevue, anyway?

That was standard procedure in the old days. No way around it. I might wander out there to take a shot today, but I can't see a reason to do it nowadays with the tech available today.

JA, PLS SoCal. 

Bradl and RADAR liked
ReplyQuote
RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 9:17 am  

How often is it a sunny, short-sleeve day in Bellevue, anyway?

You can walk down a city street in Bellevue and see someone in shorts, tank top and flip flops; and right next to them, someone with a parka and stocking cap; it can be January or August...

That picture doesn't look that unsafe to me.

SAFETY

I've seen worse. The guy's got a hard hat on; there's cones; it's an intersection with traffic lights and turn lanes; and there's construction going on down the street so there's sure to be ample signage.

I tie most of my control with GNSS these days and if I need to use the gun, I'll set control and fly tie it. If the monument is in a busy street, I'll wait until an early weekend morning and bring a flagger with me.

Until they invent an impenetrable, personal force field; your taking a risk just standing on the side of a road. One of my biggest fears is getting slapped up side the head by a big chunk of retread, flying off of a semi doing 60...

Stay safe my friends!

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by RADAR

I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun.--Thomas A. Edison

Citius, altius, fortius

A. Sellman liked
ReplyQuote
Plumb Bill
(@plumb-bill)
1,000+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 9:24 am  

I used to work directly for a earthwork company that would have quite a bit of down time.  I would fill in for the flaggers so they could take a break (or sometimes we'd stand there and shoot the breeze all day), and just from what I've seen flagging traffic makes me scared to death of intersections.  Literally an accident or close call every day.  There are a lot of people out there that just aren't paying attention while riding their two-ton sled.  One reason why I think self-driving or active assistance features should not only not be legislatively slow-rolled but expedited.  Robots can drive better than people, even if they can't drive better than a person.  Just think of the other things we could do to aid the self-driving development:  develop a uniform contrasting system for lane marking, require IR spectrum signals on cars the road etc., put magnets in the lanes, etc, etc

ReplyQuote
James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 9:25 am  

Wow often is it a sunny, short-sleeve day in Bellevue, anyway?

Every day from April until September...but they residents are sworn to secrecy and are instructed to tell "Ausländers" that it's raining all the time

“Civilization is not an endless succession of inventions and discoveries, but the task of ensuring that certain things last.”
— Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jitterboogie and RADAR liked
ReplyQuote

Javad GNSS

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
100+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 10:42 am  

Ha!
I was voluntold to go collect a section corner in the middle of a super busy intersection in the direct drive line of traffic once.  I collected all the well monumented ties and came back to the office.

A few days go by, and the question came up if I collected the corner. 

I said, "I collected everything that was possible to collect".

Proj manager says" These are just the ties".

I looked at him and unblinking, said, "Yeah.  And that's all you get. I didn't go to college to be hit by a car doing something stupid like standing in traffic".

Traffic.  Kills more surveyors and crew members than ever should be.

Be safe, work hard, don't be stupid. 

Bradl liked
ReplyQuote
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
100+ posts Member
November 15, 2018 10:47 am  
Posted by: James Fleming

Every day from April until September...but they residents are sworn to secrecy and are instructed to tell "Ausländers" that it's raining all the time

Your secret is safe with me.  I have the distinct pleasure to also have been on that wonderfully cloudy coast in Decmember with Blue Bird skies, and I lie about it every time to keep the secret safe.  😉

RADAR liked
ReplyQuote
A. Sellman
(@crashbox)
250+ posts Member
November 20, 2018 10:18 am  

This type of weather is the exception to the rule; we celebrate the Pacific Northwest Rain Festival from January 1 to December 31 here.

The only superior evidence is that which you have not yet found.

RADAR liked
ReplyQuote
RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts Member
November 20, 2018 10:41 am  
Posted by: SellmanA

This type of weather is the exception to the rule; we celebrate the Pacific Northwest Rain Festival from January 1 to December 31 here.

Except you forgot to wink:

Image result for wink meme gif

I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun.--Thomas A. Edison

Citius, altius, fortius

ReplyQuote
A. Sellman
(@crashbox)
250+ posts Member
November 20, 2018 11:09 am  

Why would I wink at the TRUTH? 😉

The only superior evidence is that which you have not yet found.

RADAR liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register