Community Forums

Share:

Today's setup  

Page 1 / 3

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

Today's setup. I can't find the picture I posted for this same location last fall when things were brown.

I like the 2.000/2.500 meter pole I made out of some telescoping thing I found at a recycling store.  I carefully filed holes for pins to select the height.   So much simpler than the measure-up process for elevations, but horizontal centering is terrible because I don't have a precision level rigged to plumb it yet and can only expect within 20 minutes or so of plumb.

NJ0229 F 71 3N 20180716

13 Replies
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Looks a great deal like you are set up along my road.

Richard
(@richard)
1,000+ posts

Bill could you use a staff bubble as I know them?

I use one for any important pole measurements when clamped in my little alligator clip tripod. Rotate around the pole. It's quick and effective. And importantly accurate. 

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

I'm using a level held along each side of the pole, but it isn't sensitive enough.    For GPSonBM the horizontal position is secondary, so I thought the pole a decent tradeoff to remove the opportunity for blown measure-ups.  And I have a particular disk I want to measure right next to a 2.5-meter-tall shed so needed a pole.

I have acquired a sensitive bullseye level bubble but didn't spring for a manufactured assembly so am still figuring out how to mount it to a piece of angle stock that I can hold to the pole.

1 Reply
sireath
(@sireath)

250+ posts

Don't mind me asking but I was thought if you wanted precised GPS you would be better off using a Tribach and adaptor on tripods which has a more sensitive bubble than the 20min on GPS Stick. 

However the drawback is your heights will always be different on set up. 

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

The rod level has a 40min vial and is useful for many tasks from aligning posts, monuments, prism poles and other vertical needs. They cost from $7 to $20 depending upon the supplier.

rod level

Page 1 / 3