1. Having trouble logging in to the new RPLS Community website?

Welcome to the new RPLS Community website. SurveyorConnect may be gone but the community is still here and going strong!

Due to the new website URL, you may have to login to your account again. It's the same login as you had before, but your browser likely won't recognize it, even if you set it to remember you. If you can't get logged in, you can reset your password. Be sure to check your spam or junk folder if you don't receive the confirmation message right away. If you still have trouble, send us an email at support@rplstoday.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Running across other surveyors...

Discussion in 'Surveying & Geomatics' started by John Hamilton, Mar 16, 2017.

1. John Hamilton

John Hamilton 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    PA
    Strange coincidence today...we were going out to do a hydro survey, hadn't done any since last summer. Drove about an hour, and launched on the Ohio River in a small 16' work boat. Temperature was about 23°, not the best day to be out there, surely did not expect to see any other boats except barges and tugs (commercial traffic). We drove a couple of miles to the site, and the sonarmite was dead, would not turn on or connect. Drove back to the boat ramp, there was a guy with the same size boat, same size engine (9.9 HP), same depth sounder (sonarmite), same GPS (R8) just putting his boat in. We were able to prove by swapping power supplies with him that it was NOT the charger, and the unit would not power on or charge at all. But what are the chances that we would see somone else at the same boat ramp in WV, on a cold blustery day, with the same equipment?

Went to my local dealer, got a rental unit, back out tomorrow. Small job, basically six lines across the river for a new bridge. Blew the budget already because that was the second trip, first trip we could not start the motor, carb was all clogged with gunk. Worked OK last summer. Note to self...next time test EVERYTHING before leaving the office. Disassembled the carb, cleaned it, now it runs OK, made sure yesterday. Should have tested the fathometer also before leaving the office this AM.

R.J. Schneider and Brad Ott like this.
  2. surv8r

surv8r 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AL, FL, GA, MS
    Just last week I was preparing a proposal on a boundary survey and I called another local PLS about assisting me on this project. After I told him where it is located, he stated he was currently surveying the adjacent parcel to the West!

Stephen Johnson and Brad Ott like this.
  3. Holy Cow

Holy Cow 6-Year Member

Once upon a time................all really good stories start out that way......................I was finishing a survey where I needed to remark the location in a concrete highway where the section corner existed. Happened to run into another crew that I had worked with several times. They were headed out to do reconnaissance on a job in the section to the northeast of ours and needed the very corner we were about to remark. We headed back, set up, shot the spot and confirmed it with another reference, set our mark and then watched as they immediately used it no more than five minutes after we were done.

Jams Lowd likes this.
  4. A Harris

A Harris 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    TX
    I always leave my card at setups on control points.
    One cay another survey crew found one and called me to ask what point I had occupied.
    Told them is was my personal control point that I use for things in a 5mi radius of the site.
    They ask if they could shut it down for a while and use it for their control.
    Well, no, I am in the middle of a job an it is my control point and it is occupied for the day.
    Had to let them know if they messed with it an I had to do my day of work over it was gonna cost them money and that I knew how to find them that there was the possibility that I may have to make them bleed.
    It was let alone.

5. Shelby H. Griggs PLS

Shelby H. Griggs PLS 6-Year Member

I was in McCall, ID a few years back, one of my Leica 1200's went DOA, called the closest dealer in Boise and was told they had sold a 1200 to a golf course developer as a base during construction, sure enough the unit was just sitting in the construction shack, borrowed it for a couple days, no charge, somedays you just luck out.

SHG

6. Andy Bruner

Andy Bruner 6-Year Member

And once upon a time... I was setting corners on a townhome project when a survey crew pulled up to the building next door and jumped out with a cloth tape and started measuring the building. I went over and told them that I would move over to that building and set the corners of they were in a hurry The "crew chief" said they didn't have time to wait for the pins to be set and they would just show them as "found" on the plat. SMH.
    Andy

N.W. Staker likes this.
  7. spledeus

spledeus 5-Year Member

Ran a pro Bono scan of a local museum. Went in right past a surveyor with a robot. Huh, not that I have the monopoly, but I have surveyed the property inside and out for very reasonable fees. Talked to the director and said I had no issue with this firm doing work here, but I have already done it all and provided it to the non profit for free.

The member of the board of directors who prematurely engaged the other firm visited me to assure me that the museum would not be paying for the services.

I do get some good advertising from the non profit.

Jerry Hastings likes this.
  8. N.W. Staker

N.W. Staker Member

Licensed in:
    WA
    Wow some of you actually talk to other surveyors in the field???

Brad Ott likes this.
  9. paden cash

paden cash 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    OK
    I like to "ninja" chat with the crews I see when I'm out and about. A lot of the time I'm in a vehicle that has no equipment or signage and from outward appearance is 'civilian' in nature.

"What are you guys surveyin' ?" is my standard approach. I'm happy to report most of the crews I chat with are fairly honest, professional and informative to me. My fav , "Is that one of the GPS things that call tell you where you're at even in the woods?" can get some varying responses and most are at least a little humorous.

I did receive a call from a buddy who's crew I had 'visited' the day before. Apparently they were able to describe me with enough detail he was able to figure out who it was chatting up his crew. I better lay low until fall...or shave. ;)

10. arctan(x)

arctan(x) 4-Year Member

Licensed in:
    TX
    I pulled up on a crew in my neighborhood and asked them what they were takin' pictures fer with that fancy camera?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

FL/GA PLS. likes this.
  11. FL/GA PLS.

FL/GA PLS. 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    FL, GA
    Ya really wanna mess with them hang a plumb bob under a level and pretend its a total station. ;)

paden cash likes this.
  12. A Harris

A Harris 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    TX
    Before digital tv, I kept a pair of rabbit ears atop red and yellow painted wood tripod.
    I passed it off as my base station a few times.:satellite:

Brad Ott, FL/GA PLS. and paden cash like this.
  13. Bill93

Bill93 6-Year Member

Some years ago I was out at the edge of a several-acre empty lot a block from my house, sighting to the red lights on towers to put in my practice network. A crew pulled up and asked "Ya want to turn some angles for us?" I explained that I was practicing with the TS and not doing any real work. They set their backsight on a corner nearby and I followed them around for a while watching how they laid out a new parking area on the other side of the lot. I think my nail is still in place if I want to go back to my spot.

Brad Ott and Stephen Johnson like this.
  14. lmbrls

lmbrls 4-Year Member

Licensed in:
    GA
    Sometimes when another surveyor around here stops to talk to your crew, they are looking for help.

R.J. Schneider likes this.