1. Having trouble logging in to the new RPLS Community website?

Welcome to the new RPLS Community website. SurveyorConnect may be gone but the community is still here and going strong!

Due to the new website URL, you may have to login to your account again. It's the same login as you had before, but your browser likely won't recognize it, even if you set it to remember you. If you can't get logged in, you can reset your password. Be sure to check your spam or junk folder if you don't receive the confirmation message right away. If you still have trouble, send us an email at support@rplstoday.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Here lurk gremlins

Discussion in 'Software, CAD & Mapping' started by Bruce Small, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Bruce Small

Bruce Small 6-Year Member

Years and years ago I included a routine in my data collection software to automatically draw a saguaro cactus to scale. Nothing to it, really: SAG9 will draw a saguaro 9 feet tall, with the cross at the bottom the horizontal location.

Today I was collecting elevations on a site and came across two transplanted saguaros, so I located them. When I ran the file into AutoCAD they both drew something like 30 feet tall instead of 5 feet. Now why would something that has run perfectly for decades do a fizzle? Ah, usually I do the horizontal first, then the grid elevations and break lines. I located these saguaros while getting grid shots, and I didn't want to plot the elevation, so the code was NOEL/SAG5. For whatever reason, the culprit was NOEL plus SAG, lurking all these years and just waiting for the right combination of descriptors.

Brad Ott and Kent McMillan like this.
  2. John

John 6-Year Member

So, let me get this straight. A routine that I am figuring You wrote, you are now saying has (now had) a gremlin. Which makes you a master gremlin if I got the sequence correct? :D

gschrock and Brad Ott like this.
  3. R.J. Schneider

R.J. Schneider 6-Year Member

sarcasm It's pretty obvious AutoCAD thought it was Christmas time and just went big on the tree.

FL/GA PLS., JaRo and gschrock like this.
  4. Bruce Small

Bruce Small 6-Year Member

I now know what I did years ago. I often have multiple codes/descriptors at one point, such as: B CURB/B SWK. I knew that a saguaro descriptor would always stand alone because nothing would ever connect to a saguaro, so it couldn't handle the NOEL/SAG5 coding. The lesson learned is never say never.

RADAR likes this.
  5. Peter Lothian - MA ME

Peter Lothian - MA ME 5-Year Member

I was just about to start a gremlin thread, but saw this one, so here goes. This morning I'm merrily drafting away, then get a phone call. Then get asked to set up a transmittal for a plan we finished last week. So I write the transmittal in Word, and print it out. Open the PDF of our plan in Adobe and print 6 copies to a large format Xerox plotter. While waiting for the Xerox to do it's thing I sit back down to my computer and notice that AutoCAD has a pop up message saying "Plot and Publish Job Complete". I open up the details and it displays:

Job: - Plotted
    Job ID: 1
    Sheet set name:
    Date and time started: 6/19/2017 10:49:50 AM
    Date and time completed: 6/19/2017 10:49:51 AM
    UserID: plothian
    Profile ID: Carlson2016
    Total sheets: 1
    Sheets plotted: 1
    Number of errors: 0
    Number of warnings: 0
    [​IMG] Sheet: - Plotted
    File: G:\Carlson Jobs\24974\Dwg\24974 SRV-WP.dwg
    Category name:
    Page setup:
    Device name: Canon iPF785
    Plot file path:
    Paper size: 24"x36"(ARCH D)

The thing is, I never sent anything to the Canon plotter this morning. Check the plotter tray, and sure enough, nothing plotted from my drawing. I check the command history, and there is nothing there about sending a plot. The only thing that happened since taking my phone call is a couple of autosaves, since I forgot to hit qsave before moving on to my other errands. Very weird.

6. Peter Lothian - MA ME

Peter Lothian - MA ME 5-Year Member

And I found the gremlin. A coworker jumped on my computer to plot a drawing while I was off to see the Xerox machine, made here plot, then closed the drawing so I would not see anything in the command line history. Mystery solved.

R.J. Schneider likes this.
  7. Rod Taylor

Rod Taylor 5-Year Member

Did you reboot it after midnight?