1. Having trouble logging in to the new RPLS Community website?

Welcome to the new RPLS Community website. SurveyorConnect may be gone but the community is still here and going strong!

Due to the new website URL, you may have to login to your account again. It's the same login as you had before, but your browser likely won't recognize it, even if you set it to remember you. If you can't get logged in, you can reset your password. Be sure to check your spam or junk folder if you don't receive the confirmation message right away. If you still have trouble, send us an email at support@rplstoday.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Geotec A-21 Autolevel

Discussion in 'Surveying & Geomatics' started by John, Jun 18, 2017.

1. John

John 6-Year Member

My brother (non surveyor) came across the above level and asked me to attempt to get some guidance from all the wonderful folks here.

My brother says the level appears to be in quite good shape, (no paint dings and such) and appears to be in generally excellent condition. A neighbor of his mother in law (Tuscon, AZ area) may be interested in the unit. (If the neighbor decides he isn't, my brother will likely ask me to post the level here for sale.)

So, my brother is wondering what kind of value the level might have. I figure it wouldn't have any value as an antique, that someone might use it for day to day operations.

I just looked on eBay and levels don't seem to attract much attention there price wise.

2. Lee D

Lee D 3-Year Member

That must be a WAYYYY off brand, no hits on it. I'm guessing that it's not worth much.

Dan Patterson likes this.
  3. Dan Patterson

Dan Patterson 6-Year Member

Licensed in:
    NJ
  4. Norm Larson

Norm Larson 3-Year Member

The problem with levels is they don't get better with time, they get worse. Most manufacturers use mylar wire to hang the compensator and time combined with gravity stretch these wires. Even the metal wired ones get less accurate as time goes on. I loved my mechanical Zeiss levels (metal), but, I don't kid myself they are as accurate today. We are in the age of the electronic and there may be some systems out there to provide feedback to the unit to keep accuracy up, but, I haven't looked and am unaware of such system. Our Zeiss and Trimble Dini's are still very accurate when tested, so, their compensator style may be different, I would actually like to know that question. When it comes to a levels accuracy, it has always been with a new level or compensator, so, that has always effected re-sale.

Richard Imrie likes this.
  5. John

John 6-Year Member

Thanks for the responses guys! I will let my brother know he will likely want to just give it to the neighbor as a bonus once he finds the transit the neighbor wants to buy.

6. Dave Tlusty

Dave Tlusty 6-Year Member

I used a Geotec like that in the late '70's, early '80's. From what I remember, it was good, held adjustment well. But like Norm said, they do wear out. You could hear the compensator rattle around as you took it out of the case.

7. tomarneson

tomarneson 6-Year Member

All the auto levels that I used would rattle.

8. Richard Imrie

Richard Imrie 1-Year Member

I've crossed paths with a few sneaky little ....ers at work and one incident I remember with one of those sneaky little ....ers, involved an auto level. I repeatedly tell the staff to carry the level, level, and store it level and don't knock it or otherwise abuse it. And then I look behind me and there he is, holding the leather strap of the case and swinging it around like a helicopter blade. I couldn't hit him with it, because the level was in it. Anyway, he must have thought he'd broken it and needed a cover-up-strategy, because later that day back in the office I heard him on the phone to HQ telling that them that someone had broken the level because he could hear something rattling inside it. And so I told him exactly what he was.

FrozenNorth likes this.
  9. FrozenNorth

FrozenNorth 1-Year Member

Yep. A slight tap to the level and a corresponding jingle verified that the compensator wasn't stuck. By slight I do mean slight, and done with the level in the mounted position, not shaken like a can of paint.