1. Having trouble logging in to the new RPLS Community website?

Welcome to the new RPLS Community website. SurveyorConnect may be gone but the community is still here and going strong!

Due to the new website URL, you may have to login to your account again. It's the same login as you had before, but your browser likely won't recognize it, even if you set it to remember you. If you can't get logged in, you can reset your password. Be sure to check your spam or junk folder if you don't receive the confirmation message right away. If you still have trouble, send us an email at support@rplstoday.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

File managers and their impact on program use

Discussion in 'Software, CAD & Mapping' started by Richard, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Richard

Richard 6-Year Member

I didn't like standard windows explorer and tried Multicommander.
    I was actually enjoying its use until recently.
    (probably a Windows 10 (Pro) update tipped the scales against it)

When using MsCad recently I noticed it acting contrary.
    It would lock up for no reason and with no prescribed pattern of use.
    Modelling was disastrous.

I run 2 screens, and I notice Multicommander (my file explorer) was acting a bit odd on the left screen. It too was locking.

I force closed MsCad closed Multicommander, restarted MsCad and all was well.
    I closed, restarted Multicommander then MsCad and the problems started again.

I've never encountered anything like it and have now uninstalled Multicommander and am using Xyplorer. So far no problems.

MsCad creates a directory that remains active and open whilst the job (dwg) is open. Close the dwg and the msj directory disappears.
    I can only assume it was monitoring the msj directory and interfering with MsCad.
    I wrote to them but didn't hear back.

2. BlitzkriegBob

BlitzkriegBob 2-Year Member

I have used only Windows File Explorer for a long time. I don't particular love it, but I'm only using it five minutes a day on average so I live with it. I used to love PowerDesk. I haven't used it this century, but your post inspired me to look it up and lo and behold it is still a product. They had many features I loved, but none I miss more than their dual pane explorer. To the best of my knowledge, only Windows NT had this same option.

3. Richard

Richard 6-Year Member

It was the dual panes that sent me searching.
    I trialled Directory Opus, bought it and whilst it was really useful it was bit buggy, and it wouldn't recognise the Allegro as a drive.
    Updated my PC, went Win 10 Pro and looked for alternatives.
    Powerquest never came up in any searches.
    It's survival probably speaks for itself.