1. Having trouble logging in to the new RPLS Community website?

Welcome to the new RPLS Community website. SurveyorConnect may be gone but the community is still here and going strong!

Due to the new website URL, you may have to login to your account again. It's the same login as you had before, but your browser likely won't recognize it, even if you set it to remember you. If you can't get logged in, you can reset your password. Be sure to check your spam or junk folder if you don't receive the confirmation message right away. If you still have trouble, send us an email at support@rplstoday.com.

[ CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD ]

Dismiss Notice

Comparing Prices

Discussion in 'Surveying & Geomatics' started by Just A. Surveyor, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Just A. Surveyor

Just A. Surveyor Member

Licensed in:
    AL, GA, ID
    Where do you buy your caps and what price do you pay per cap?

2. Jim Frame

Jim Frame 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    CA
  3. James Fleming

James Fleming 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    DE, MD, PA
  4. Tommy Young

Tommy Young 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AL, FL, IL, IN, KY, LA, SC, TN
    We get most of ours from Bathey, although for specialty items I go to Berntsen.

5. Just A. Surveyor

Just A. Surveyor Member

Licensed in:
    AL, GA, ID
    I should probably have specified that I'm asking about your standard Plastic Cap. I see Bathey has them for about 0.29 cents a piece.

6. JPH

JPH 5-Year Member

My one regret in life is that I didn't go with better caps from the beginning. Those plastic ones are cheap, but cheap looking. Wish I'd gone with a disk instead.

aliquot likes this.
  7. Jim in AZ

Jim in AZ 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AZ
    My Standard Plastic Cap is the Morasse brand sold by Berntsen. Those $0.29 piece of c*** caps are not worth a s***. They should be prohibited from being used by all Boards. Forgive my language, but cheap caps that don't last are a pet peeve of mine.

dms330 and Nate The Surveyor like this.
  8. Just A. Surveyor

Just A. Surveyor Member

Licensed in:
    AL, GA, ID
    That's your one regret! Man I have a wheel barrel load of regrets and plastic caps is most definately not one of them.

oldpacer, Monte, TXSurveyor and 2 others like this.
  9. Tommy Young

Tommy Young 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AL, FL, IL, IN, KY, LA, SC, TN
    These things take time. We're not that far removed from setting wood hammer handles for corners. A plastic cap on top of a piece of rebar is a world of improvement.

KevinFoshee likes this.
  10. Mike Marks

Mike Marks 6-Year Member

Don't like 'em. They disappear in fires (rural) and are an attractive nuisance (urban). A stamped brass tag wired to a rebar below ground or lead & tag in hardscape for the run of the mill property corner, bronze disk grouted into bedrock or set atop a buried 2" flared pipe for the fancy stuff.

I've contemplated for a few minutes and can truthfully say I've never set a plastic cap.

11. The KGB

The KGB 2-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AR, LA
    Has anyone used the Bathey laser marked rebar caps? The price is just slightly more than the plastic caps, and their stock website photos look pretty slick. I suppose the downside would be that they couldn't be "custom stamped" like aluminum or brass for a specific corner, but for a generic lot corner they should work fine.

Joe W. Byrd likes this.
  12. A Harris

A Harris 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    TX
    I am happy with the Mountain Mold & Die, Inc caps.
    They are UV stabilized and they have many models.
    I rarely leave any of them above sod level unless I've drilled into a rock or concrete.

eshrpls, pencerules and DKeithKilby like this.
  13. Jim in AZ

Jim in AZ 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AZ
    Fires destroy aluminum caps and the baling wire most folks use to attach those brass tags with. We have areas with incredible dis-similar metal corrosion problems, and rebar/alum. cap just doesn't work. The metal caps with plastic inserts fall off after a year or two. I recently recovered some 2-3/4" diam. plastic Morasse caps I set 32 years ago that looked brand new. They have been through some harsh weather during that time, including UV at an elevation of 7000 feet. A hammer never touches them and they never come off the rebar and I will keep using them until I retire. There's nothing better.

14. DKeithKilby

DKeithKilby 7-Year Member

Second Mountain Mold and Die ( surveycaps.com).

pencerules likes this.
  15. Joe W. Byrd

Joe W. Byrd 2-Year Member

Licensed in:
    LA, MS
    I have been using them for about 4 years and will continue to. I order 1000 at a time and they are around 80 cents each and have had much better luck that with plastic caps. I have went back on surveys that were performed 2 - 3 years a go and can still read the laser etching on the top. We have started to grind a bevel on top of our rebar that makes it easier to start the cap, but that is done during rain out days while the guys are cutting the rebar to length.

The KGB likes this.
  16. Jon Collins

Jon Collins 1-Year Member

Licensed in:
    NE, ND, SD
    Lenggeman has lime green caps, only place I have found that color. I can't answer about durability yet. Using 2in Bernstein alum for sec cors.

TXSurveyor likes this.
  17. TXSurveyor

TXSurveyor 5-Year Member

Licensed in:
    TX
    Thanks for letting us know. I looked for awhile for lime green caps, and never found any when we went in business. Everyone in my area sets yellow, orange or red (one guy sets maroon because he is an Aggie grad). We wanted something different, but we settled on orange. I'm thinking we will switch to green on the next order.
    I only know of 2 surveyors to set aluminum caps in our area. One retired probably 20 years ago the other 10. Their caps have always been hard to read, that's one of the main reasons I never wanted aluminum.
    I do leave caps above ground a tenth or so when around wire or steel post.
    On a side note I found a plastic cap( not sure of brand) that was 15 years old that was sun rotted and could make out the name and number. I took a pic with my phone within a foot of the cap and zoomed in and was able to make out the name and number.
    I would love to post a pic but I found this uncalled for rod about 12' from a buried called for axle and the only info I can get from the surveyor that set the rod is he did that survey 15 years ago and that file is archived in a storage unit.

18. Mark Mayer

Mark Mayer 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    OK, OR, WA
    Surv-Kap seems to be the cheapest. Their service is good.

Brad Ott likes this.
  19. KevinFoshee

KevinFoshee 3-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AR, SD
    There are a couple of guys in central Arkansas using those Morasse caps. While they may hold up well; I've had a terrible time excavating around them in our rocky soil to get flagging on them. Seems like a small complaint; I know. But, it's been enough to keep me from using them.

20. Nate The Surveyor

Nate The Surveyor 7-Year Member

Licensed in:
    AR
    Plastic caps:
    IF you lightly spray them, witj spray paint...
    It blocks the uv rays...
    Probably doubles, or more their service life.