PPI Curated Bundles -- Everything you need to pass

Community Forums

Wireless RS-232C to Bluetooth Adapters  

RSS

Field Dog
(@field-dog)
250+ posts Member
November 6, 2018 2:45 pm  

Looking for recommendations for wireless RS-232C to Bluetooth adapters for our Topcon DL- 502 digital levels. We use MAGNET Field software and FC-5000 field controllers.

ReplyQuote
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
500+ posts Member
November 8, 2018 3:33 pm  

I put together one, maybe three years ago, for BT'ing serial NMEA0183 data from a chartplotter to Carlson SurvCE so that we could add depth soundings to RTK observations. The BT was something like this:

s l500 aa

But without the aerial, so I think it was a lower class (shorter range). It needed a null modem and a power supply (in this case I used 2 or 3 1.5V AA rechargeable batteries). I'm away for 3 days, but when I get back I'll post some images of the setup. It works well, and it's a great feeling when you get things up and running.

ReplyQuote
tripodita
(@tripodita)
5+ posts Member
November 8, 2018 5:29 pm  

Sena Paranis work well too, and come with optional battery packs if power is not available on the levels RS232 port.  You would also need a data cable, probably from Topcon, to convert the RS-232 port to a DB9 connector.

ReplyQuote
Field Dog
(@field-dog)
250+ posts Member
November 9, 2018 4:26 pm  
Posted by: Richard Imrie

I'm away for 3 days, but when I get back I'll post some images of the setup. It works well, and it's a great feeling when you get things up and running.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Field Dog
(@field-dog)
250+ posts Member
November 9, 2018 4:28 pm  
Posted by: tripodita

Sena Paranis work well too

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts Member
November 10, 2018 11:21 am  

Mark, 

As I explained on the phone the solution is a Sena SD-1000 Serial to Bluetooth. But you explained that you(or the county) has no budget to make any purchase for the survey dept, even this lost cost $160 option.

Sorry to say this but you can't help those that won't help themselves.

~LeeGreen.com
Licensed Surveyor in NY
sUAS Remote Pilot

ReplyQuote

Upgrade and save 50%

Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
500+ posts Member
November 11, 2018 6:26 pm  

Here's the one I put together. I originally put it together as a BT for a Sokkia Set 3B so that it could wirelessly talk with a iPAQ DC, but then I pulled it and wired it up for the depth sounder - to RTK SurvCE.

PB080477

The BT module in it is the one on the left below:

PB120482

The black case strapped to the back is the DC battery pack, lasts forever as the BT power demand is low. I've also wired in a digital voltage display.

You need to be able to serial connect to a computer to run the BT module setup to configure baud etc.

I see in my notes that I also played around with cheaper TLL-RS232 converters and "open" BT modules and set one up for the Sokkia.

PB120483

However the "premade" BT link is simpler. All up I think the components were say $50. Research/setup/stress time probably came to $5,000.

ReplyQuote
Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

Working

Please Login or Register