Community Forums

Where are Trimble Instruments made?  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

Bow Tie Surveyor
(@bow-tie-surveyor)
500+ posts Member
November 26, 2018 5:49 am  

I believe that Trimble is an American company, but are their instruments (GNSS, Conventional, or other) built in the United States?

The Bow Tie Surveyor

ReplyQuote
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts Member
November 26, 2018 6:01 am  

Really old dogs like me can recall a time when Trimble was strictly a GPS company. They bought out Spectra Precision (not todays SP, another entity) for it's line of Geodimeter instruments. 

Geodimeter was a Swedish company. I'm pretty sure that the instruments are made there. The GPS units are made elsewhere, I think. California at one time. Not sure about now. 

EDUCATION, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding.

EXPERIENCE, n. The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced.

ReplyQuote
StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
November 26, 2018 6:05 am  

I believe the TS are made in Sweden and I think the Nikon and (Trimble badged Nikons)Manual station are made in Japan.

Professional Surveyor - MO, AR, KS, KY
sUAS Certified Pilot

ReplyQuote
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
100+ posts Member
November 26, 2018 10:24 am  

Lots of the newer stuff is "Assembled In Mexico"

ReplyQuote
Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts Member
November 27, 2018 1:03 pm  

There's an excellent article in one of the XYHt issues that Gavin wrote about the development and manufacture of the SX10; that gun and I'm pretty sure all the S series guns are made in Sweden. That article gives you a much better understanding and appreciation for what goes into the development of an instrument like that.

Jitterboogie liked
ReplyQuote
True Corner
(@true-corner)
250+ posts Member
November 28, 2018 7:10 pm  
Posted by: Bow Tie Surveyor

I believe that Trimble is an American company, but are their instruments (GNSS, Conventional, or other) built in the United States?

I buy "Used Trimble" because they're Made in USA.  I'm a Made in USA dude, even my jeans are made in the USA.  I get them off the internet. Lots of USA stuff on the internet.  I have my own business and I'am of the opinion that my perspective clients need a job to afford my services.  If I worked in China or Mexico I guess I'd be a globalist.

Ethan liked
ReplyQuote

iGage IG8

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
November 28, 2018 7:30 pm  

I buy "Used Trimble" because they're Made in USA.

That may pertain to GNSS products, but the Trimble total station line started out as rebadged Geodimeter equipment.  As far as I know, Trimble has never manufactured a total station in the U.S.

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

ReplyQuote
True Corner
(@true-corner)
250+ posts Member
November 29, 2018 7:11 pm  
Posted by: Jim Frame

That may pertain to GNSS products, but the Trimble total station line started out as rebadged Geodimeter equipment.  As far as I know, Trimble has never manufactured a total station in the U.S.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  The USofA hasn't made a total station since HP? 

ReplyQuote
Norm Larson
(@norm-larson)
500+ posts Member
November 29, 2018 7:32 pm  
Posted by: True Corner

Yeah, those were Geodimeters as well.

ReplyQuote
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
500+ posts Member
November 29, 2018 7:56 pm  
Posted by: Bow Tie Surveyor

I buy "Used Trimble" because they're Made in USA.  I'm a Made in USA dude, even my jeans are made in the USA.  I get them off the internet. Lots of USA stuff on the internet.  I have my own business and I'am of the opinion that my perspective clients need a job to afford my services.  If I worked in China or Mexico I guess I'd be a globalist.

Not related to Trimble, but as consumers here in the lower hemisphere, we read the fine print on packaging. A lot of foodstuff's that appear to be from USA, with flags and images and all that, the fine print very often says things like: "Packaged in USA, from products grown in C....", and I've even seen "Marketed in USA, from products grown in C...."

ReplyQuote
Norm Larson
(@norm-larson)
500+ posts Member
December 2, 2018 2:10 pm  
Posted by: Norm Larson

This is what I was told when younger, but, some internet research says that HP’s were in fact their own creation, so, it is wrong

ReplyQuote
Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 1:49 pm  

HP total stations were not Geodimeters, they were designed and built by HP:

ReplyQuote

Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

am95405
(@am95405)
5+ posts Member
December 3, 2018 6:24 pm  
Posted by: Lee D

HP total stations were not Geodimeters, they were designed and built by HP:

Thank you for posting this. Brought a big smile to my face. I didn't know HP had made these.

(-surveying student (lifelong learner), hired into HP over two decades ago … still working at the same place, though not called HP anymore. )

ReplyQuote
True Corner
(@true-corner)
250+ posts Member
December 5, 2018 10:43 pm  

This is what I was told when younger, but, some internet research says that HP’s were in fact their own creation, so, it is wrong

it's okay to be wrong...I've had lots of experience being wrong.

ReplyQuote
Norm Larson
(@norm-larson)
500+ posts Member
December 6, 2018 7:11 am  

Us old timers know that it is a great way to learn and I do take those opportunities.  Still, I hate being wrong, LOL

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register