Community Forums

Share:

Where are Trimble Instruments made?  

Page 1 / 2

Bow Tie Surveyor
(@bow-tie-surveyor)
500+ posts

I believe that Trimble is an American company, but are their instruments (GNSS, Conventional, or other) built in the United States?

16 Replies
4 Replies
True Corner
(@true-corner)

250+ posts
Posted by: Bow Tie Surveyor

I believe that Trimble is an American company, but are their instruments (GNSS, Conventional, or other) built in the United States?

I buy "Used Trimble" because they're Made in USA.  I'm a Made in USA dude, even my jeans are made in the USA.  I get them off the internet. Lots of USA stuff on the internet.  I have my own business and I'am of the opinion that my perspective clients need a job to afford my services.  If I worked in China or Mexico I guess I'd be a globalist.

Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: True Corner
Posted by: Bow Tie Surveyor

I buy "Used Trimble" because they're Made in USA.  I'm a Made in USA dude, even my jeans are made in the USA.  I get them off the internet. Lots of USA stuff on the internet.  I have my own business and I'am of the opinion that my perspective clients need a job to afford my services.  If I worked in China or Mexico I guess I'd be a globalist.

Not related to Trimble, but as consumers here in the lower hemisphere, we read the fine print on packaging. A lot of foodstuff's that appear to be from USA, with flags and images and all that, the fine print very often says things like: "Packaged in USA, from products grown in C....", and I've even seen "Marketed in USA, from products grown in C...."

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)

2,500+ posts

I toured the total station factory in Stockholm in 2006, at the time they were making S6's. I believe they expanded it for the SX10 production. I think it used to be the geodimeter factory. 

gschrock
(@gschrock)

2,500+ posts
Posted by: John Hamilton

I toured the total station factory in Stockholm in 2006, at the time they were making S6's. I believe they expanded it for the SX10 production. I think it used to be the geodimeter factory. 

It has grown to quite a large operation there. It is not at the same location as the very old AGA/Geodimeter facilities, but they've been at the Danderyd Sweden site (edge of Stockholm) for quite a while and have just done a major expansion. As I found out visiting a number of the major manufacturers facilities recently, they (like others) do not farm out (or go cheapo labor markets) for the manufacture of their top-tier gear, like total stations.    Pics and comments for my recent visit there. 

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

Really old dogs like me can recall a time when Trimble was strictly a GPS company. They bought out Spectra Precision (not todays SP, another entity) for it's line of Geodimeter instruments. 

Geodimeter was a Swedish company. I'm pretty sure that the instruments are made there. The GPS units are made elsewhere, I think. California at one time. Not sure about now. 

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

I believe the TS are made in Sweden and I think the Nikon and (Trimble badged Nikons)Manual station are made in Japan.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
250+ posts

Lots of the newer stuff is "Assembled In Mexico"

Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts

There's an excellent article in one of the XYHt issues that Gavin wrote about the development and manufacture of the SX10; that gun and I'm pretty sure all the S series guns are made in Sweden. That article gives you a much better understanding and appreciation for what goes into the development of an instrument like that.

Page 1 / 2