Community Forums

Share:

When does Surveying occur?  

Page 1 / 2

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

It occurs when decisions about where a final boundary is made. Often, in the office, after some field work is performed. But, it occurs at odd times. Like waking in the night, after pondering it. Or, while staking a corner, and finding an old pipe, a foot away, from the stk. Coord.

Or, while going through deeds at the courthouse.

Or wherever. It's that decision about where a line, or corner should go. Or, a change of decision.

That decision making is surveying.

Field work, angles, least squares, adjustment, rtk, etc, can often be delegated. It's a discipline. A support role to surveying.

Just thinking...

N

5 Replies
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

Now if you could just get all the state statutes to say that, it would clear up a lot of confusion.

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

I know folks who have run data collectors, and various survey instruments. They think they are surveying. No... It is a support role, but real surveying is the boundary decision process... Wherever, and whenever it is done.

Getting good data is a foundational skill... And is needed. 

gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts

Well stated Nate 🙂

Just a lateral thought though: Does this only apply boundary survey?  is the person performing monitoring for large structures like dams and bridges (with all of the liability that entails) not a surveyor. Or the surveyor on a skyscraper project, or the one determining an elevation for flood certifications, or one determining volumes (that can have tremendous contractual an even implications) etc etc. Nearly every function involving professional and authoritative "measurement" can (and mostly does) also involve professional judgment, evaluation of evidence, and skills born by extensive experience, education, and training (far beyond any notions of simply "button pushing") ... kinda makes me wonder that if were characterize 'surveying' as only pertaining to boundary wee might run the risk of shrinking our profession by definition... and might be selling ourselves short....

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

@gschrock

Yes, indeed you are quite right.

I guess I'm talking from my window. That is, what I see.

Thanks for your comment. It's time for a Kent McMillan lesson on * net, and proof of location, with mathematical proof... 

Frankly, it's not my strongest suit. I have run too many traverses around a section or 2, adjusted them, and worked off the ctrl network.

Rtk has non cumulative errors, and when used properly, is da bomb!

N

Page 1 / 2