Community Forums

Share:

What's the bearing?  

Page 4 / 4

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts
Posted by: @just-a-surveyor

I am still working on this but here is the model.

The use of color on the map greatly aids comprehension. We don't use it much here because it is not allowed, by statute, on the recorded maps. 

8 Replies
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)

1,000+ posts

@norman-oklahoma

I use 3 primary colors, blue, magenta, red and various shades of gray and black.

I find that yellow, orange, green and cyan just don't come through the copy process well. They show up great in cadd with a black background but they fade into the background on a white paper.

I got a admit I have some reservations about the S.E.
corner below the old building but the adjoiners swore that
is the only corner he ever knew of and he has used it for
many years. But I still have reservations because it is
not a straight line, gonna look some more in the records
but there is nothing in the ground.
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)

1,000+ posts

@norman-oklahoma

I use 3 primary colors, blue, magenta, red and various shades of gray and black.

I find that yellow, orange, green and cyan just don't come through the copy process well. They show up great in cadd with a black background but they fade into the background on a white paper.

I got to admit I have some reservations about the S.E.
corner below the old building but the adjoiners swore that
is the only corner he ever knew of and he has used it for
many years. But I still have reservations because it is
not a straight line, gonna look some more in the records
but there is nothing more in the ground and the fences
and building seem to agree

ashton
(@ashton)

250+ posts

@norman-oklahoma

How is the permanency of colors compared to black?

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)

1,000+ posts

@ashton

The dark colors such as red, blue, magenta hold up very well. You may have to use a heavier line weight with red but it has good life to it.

The lighter colors such as yellow, standard green, orange, they don't work well on regular paper. They look excellent in cadd with a black background but not on paper.

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)

2,500+ posts

@ashton

Our rule against colors predates inkjet plotters, pdf, digital storage, and even black and white only xerox machines. It goes back to the days of blueprinting.  

ashton
(@ashton)

250+ posts

@norman-oklahoma

Like most Vermont towns, in my town the plat from the surveyor is just placed in a hanging file; it isn't scanned. Maybe someday all those plats will get scanned, but I am not aware of any committed plan to do so. So the physical plat should be prepared with media that will last for centuries.

JKinAK
(@jkinak)

250+ posts

@ashton

Our rules on use of color are rooted in the fact that about 6% of US population is colorblind. Failure to clearly communicate with 6% of our clients and reviewers is unacceptable. 

aliquot
(@aliquot)

1,000+ posts

@jkinak

That is easily solved by insuring that as well as being different colors, each kind of line is a different line type. 

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

I have found that my eyes are less strained using a white background and my boundary drawings have 5 layers with red, blue, black, magenta and green.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

Late to the party..

Next time on research, try bringing in tinted report covers, and laying them over the plat. Yellow works best, but make sure you have orange and pink with you. You can do the same thing with a photo editor on your computer.

As for the bearing, it's an obvious blunder. I would compute my search coordinates using the distances along the boundary and street, then use the found monuments to solve the real world lines. Looks like a fun (and typical) job...

Page 4 / 4