Community Forums

Share:

What were you surveying on 9-11-2001?  

Page 6 / 8

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

I was in Lexington, KY still as I had just graduated from college that summer and was still working at my internship - not survey. I was just getting to the office and turning on the computer when one of the other guys who I worked with walked in and said that he heard on the radio that a Cessna crashed into the World Trade Center. We got online and saw that in fact it wasn't a Cessna. A few of us drove to Wal-Mart to buy a portable TV for the office. When we got to the electronic section every TV was turned onto to CNN and we saw the second plane hit. We grabbed a small TV and headed back to the office. Everyone was glued to the TV the rest of the day and no work was done.

One of our co-workers was stuck in San Diego. Couldn't fly home and he couldn't find a rental car for a week.

I listened to a good podcast today with this author. Would be a good book for the younger generation who was too young to remember.

RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts

Like a lot of others, I noticed the sky was eerily void of planes. I only remember seeing a few military jets. I stopped at the Espresso stand and the Barista was watching on a small TV, a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center...

I get to the office and it's hard to get on the internet. I drive out to Anderson Island to meet a contractor to discuss laying out the new Ferry Landing. We were told that they might suspend all Ferry Traffic, but we made it off OK.

I remember reading posts on the old POB board; first hand from surveyors in NYC. Lots of stories...

I can't watch any footage from that day; got to much of it as it was happening I guess. I'll never get images of people jumping out of windows, out of my mind.

3 Replies
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)

100+ posts

@dougie

are there any links to the old POB board?

RADAR
(@dougie)

2,500+ posts

@hpalmer

I'm sure there is, I've seen them posted here in the past. I'm just not that savvy to help; maybe someone else knows?

Dougie

A Harris
(@a-harris)

5,000+ posts

@dougie

"Wayback Machine" is where it was

NorthernSurveyor
(@northernsurveyor)
250+ posts

I was at home getting ready to head out to work.   Had the NBC Today show on, and they broke in about the first plane hitting the towers, the announcers were talking about navigation problems with the jet.  I distinctly remember when the second plane hit, the announcers were claiming "must be something wrong with GPS".   I was so infuriated with the announcers my wife had to calm me down.  I was in shock with everyone else. 

At the time I was the Survey/Aerial Data Acquisition/Flight Department manager  for the AeroMetric Anchorage office.   Of course when getting to work, I had to cancel all of the day's project flights, and it was really eerie on how quiet the skies were.  Other than the F-16 jets scrambling from nearby Elmendorf AFB to intercept those small GA planes, many who originated flights out in the bush with no way to know what had happened.  One of our project managers was one, heading back to Anchorage from on the other side of the Alaska Range after a successful moose hunt, when he suddenly is getting intercepted and forced to land out 100 miles from Anchorage.   Took him a while to get back to town.  

Its amazing its been 18 years, like most, I still vividly remember going through the day with shock, apprehension, and uncertainty of "how big this was" and what the world would be headed in the next week.  America rose to the occasion.   

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

I'd rather forget everything about that day. Just wipe it clean. No use remembering it.

1 Reply
Alan Roberts
(@alan-roberts)

100+ posts

@dave-karoly

Unfortunately, many can't forget and will never forget for personal reasons. Too many reasons. All the innocent victims will be remembered.

I have been wearing this Tee once or twice a month for 18 years.  I wore it yesterday and decided to wear it again today. 

IMG 20190912 093854 kindlephoto 72100338

Tru-Grade
(@tru-grade)
5+ posts

I was laying out sanitary sewer in the 11th addition of Deerfield subdivision in Springfield Illinois, when our crew received a phone call from another crew informing us what had happened. Then we stood there watching the wide open blue skies and all the planes turning and preparing to land at the nearest airport.

Page 6 / 8
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: