Community Forums

Share:

TSC1 data collector  

Page 1 / 2

Mike7454
(@mike7454)
5+ posts

Hello.  A friend of mine just gave me one of these and it appears to be in good shape. Screen is not scratched.  I need to charge battery so I can see what software is in it.

I would like to connect it to my Leica 1103 total station but the TSC1 has 7 pin ports and Leica has 5 pin.  Is there an adapter available for these?

Thanks.

8 Replies
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

According to the TSC1 manual, the way to connect a Leica gun is by using a Trimble 37779 cable at the DC and a matching Leica cable at the instrument, the DB9 connectors on each forming the connection.  (There are less expensive alternatives to the Western States version of the 37779, but I linked theirs because they're known reliable.)

Whether or not the cost of the cable is worth running an old and slow DC like a TSC1 is another question altogether.

1 Reply
Mike7454
(@mike7454)

5+ posts

Hi Jim.  Thanks for your reply.  

That cable won't work.  The TSC1 has a 7 pin circular port not rectangular like that cable.  

Are these units slower than an older Juniper Allegro?  That's what I have now.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

I don't remember the exact details... I had a Lemo to 9 pin cable which connected to the Leica 1102 instrument then I think I connected that to the Trimble download cable. It may have required a null modem adapter.

The TSC1 was not a very good conventional data collector. It gets slower as you use it, it's like it recalcs the entire job every time you want to do something, like turn rounds.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

That cable won't work.  The TSC1 has a 7 pin circular port not rectangular like that cable.  

The 0-shell Lemo is a 7-pin connector, and is shown on the left side of the photo.  The 9-pin D-sub connector is what plugs into the corresponding end of the Leica cable.  Dave is right, the 37779 is a null-modem adapter.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

Are these units slower than an older Juniper Allegro? That's what I have now.

Yes!  At least a lot slower than the Allegro CX, which is what I used to use.

1 Reply
Mike7454
(@mike7454)

5+ posts

A lot slower.  Yikes.  That's not too encouraging.

How are those units uploaded into a computer?

Page 1 / 2