Community Forums

Share:

Trackability of Seco (6405-12) Nodal Point Mini Prism by Leica Robotics Total Station  

Page 1 / 2

amdomag
(@amdomag)
500+ posts

I am considering to buy a handy mini prism for stakeout work. What I have in mind is the Seco (6405-12) Nodal Point but not sure of its trackability when used with a Leica robot. Any experience? Thank you.

12 Replies
Sergeant Schultz
(@sergeant-schultz)
500+ posts

When I got my first robot, I felt that I wouldn't need to spend the money for a 360° glass.  Well, it's just about impossible to keep a single retroreflector pointed constantly at the instrument.  Turn away even for a few seconds, and lock is lost and time is wasted reorienting the target and waiting for the instrument to reacquire the target. 

I have a couple of mini prisms similar to the Seco (6405-12), but prefer one like this: New  360 degree Mini Prism  for Surveying  Total Stations for stakeout.  Fairly close tolerances can be met by using care in orienting the prism.

1 Reply
amdomag
(@amdomag)

500+ posts

@sergeant-schultz

Is this a seco glass?

party chef
(@party-chef)
500+ posts

Using single prism with tracking is a pain and your precision will suffer.

I would rather spend it on gear than on wages for some poor guy struggling to get the job done with the wrong equipment.

amdomag
(@amdomag)
500+ posts

Any experience of the trackability of Seco 360 deg. prism (6401-00-YEL)? As it is a Seco product, I would think it is of good quality and cheaper than Leica 360 deg prism as well. The prism design as an array/assembly of 6 individual glasses provides a feeling that there would be dead spot(s) around the prism.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @party-chef

Using single prism with tracking is a pain and your precision will suffer.

I don't understand why you think precision will suffer.  I use a miniprism exclusively with my robot, and don't have any precision (or accuracy!) problems.

2 Replies
amdomag
(@amdomag)

500+ posts

@jim-frame

Are you using standard or 360deg mini prism?

party chef
(@party-chef)

500+ posts

@jim-frame

If I recall correctly you use Leica -17.5 mini prisms, when you use standard mini prisms robotically the error from pointing of the prism creeps up pretty quickly.

Are you working alone without a 360 prism? I thought you were the user that touted the higher precision lighter weight 360 Leica glass.

True precision aside I have found that working alone with tracking to a standard, moving prism to be an awkward proposition leading to second best results. That loss is what I was trying to speak to, more than say genuine centering error.

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: