Community Forums

Share:

TOPCON GTS-4B Interface software  

Page 1 / 2

John Turner
(@jack2006)
5+ posts

Recently aquired an old Topcon GTS-4B to carry out survey of our ground and found in user manual that there is an Interface manual describing the data format for communication etc. I did a search and found on this site a few years ago (2014) that someone had similar question but posts ended.

I have written a program using Labview that reads the serial coms port of the 4B and I get data in the following format  <0922000+0794440-0016d090 repeated around 8 or 9 times, similar results to the chap a few years ago. He suggested that a command needs to be sent to the station to stop any further data being sent once valid data was recognised, which makes sense.

The data being read at the moment is then formated in my program to    092 20' 00"    079 44' 40"    0016d090 before being saved as a text file. Because I am new to this subject I assume the last block of data is the distance but will confirm when set up outside with prisim etc.

Guess that I could just write the values down and do any calcs later manually but it seems as shame because its not to difficult to put formulas into the program I have written to perform any calculations etc.

Any help would be appreciated although I appreciate its really quite an old unit now.

8 Replies
1 Reply
Bill C
(@bill-c)

20+ posts

This might help:

John Turner
(@jack2006)
5+ posts

That is excellent Bill, many thanks all the info I need is in your document, If anyone ever needs the program written for 'Labview' (National Instruments) I would be would happy to share it.

Thanks again,

John

Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)
5,000+ posts

Question is WHY? I have run Topcons, from 3Bs to 3001 and a lot of numbers in between and all used the same interface. Therefore any data collector from day 1 till now should connect. Very early 3Bs had a different connection, never used one, and do not know the interface parameters.

Paul in PA

1 Reply
Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: Paul in PA

Question is WHY?

Obviously because he is not going to buy a data collector, but is going to use a computer to store the data.  He has the ability to write the program for it.

This appears to be a personal project and not a production situation.  More time than money allocated.

John Turner
(@jack2006)
5+ posts

Unfortunatly have no software to accept the data and assume it has to be purchaased so makes more sense to do it myself.

John Turner
(@jack2006)
5+ posts

Sorry Paul, my reply occured after yours.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Its only for my own personel use from which I get satisaction from.

Thanks, John

Page 1 / 2