Community Forums

Share:

Thoughts on a Simple Topo  

Page 1 / 2

Field Dog
(@field-dog)
250+ posts

Completed a simple baseline topo today for a proposed walkway and boat dock. Stationing at twenty five foot intervals with offsets of ten and twenty feet. Wetland flags, soil borings, and tree locations too. The pace of the job was a little too slow for me. Green rodman and experienced party chief ran the rod. As we ran short on time, the rag tape was replaced by pacing. I checked for twenty foot offsets using the Point to Line feature after I took a ground shot. Too bad there isn't a baseline topo feature that lets you define a baseline and displays station and offset data as the user takes shots. Also, I wish there was a user-defined drop down rod height list. Towards the end of the topo we were using a twenty five foot topo rod set to various heights, so such a feature would be a time saver.

Topic Tags
17 Replies
holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

In days of yore you simply wrote down your intended location and reported the information gathered while knowing you were not precisely on that spot, but, it didn't really matter that much.

Measure with a micrometer.  Cut with a chain saw.

Lookinatchya
(@lookinatchya)
100+ posts

I remember when we first started using a data collector and doing things radially. Would still lay out a baseline and take shots right and left of the baseline, but not measuring the offsets, just shooting everything radially. The office remarked on how our offset shots weren't perfectly perpendicular to the baseline. Old PC says, "Now you know what we've been lying about for years".

Haven't used the baseline offset method for years. Just curious why you are doing it that way?

3 Replies
Field Dog
(@field-dog)

250+ posts

@lookinatchya

The party chief I worked with this week set up the job and started shooting last week. His philosophy is everyone likes looking at a pretty little grid. We shot everything radially.

Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @field-dog

His philosophy is everyone likes looking at a pretty little grid. We shot everything radially.

I hope not ONLY a grid.  Don't you also get break line points?

Field Dog
(@field-dog)

250+ posts

@bill93

I don't know what the work order called for. Isn't it SOP to get break line points? When I was helping the crew, there weren't any significant changes in elevation within the offset intervals we were using.

back-chain
(@back-chain)
250+ posts

Do you remember coming in green to an office? Your first (maybe second) party chief?

Did you stay in that office for a few years; move up a little? Watched the noobs come in while you began to recognize the patterns and general flow of the office? Some came and went. Some stayed and found their crew. That party chief kept grinding nubs, exactly as the place needed him to.

Field dog, I'm guessing you could be 'that' PC. 😉

On the DC display and pre-set rod height selections, I'm pretty sure survCE does both. I think fieldgenius does, too. But, unlike carlson, it's not a pre-set list of heights. They have a quick change of like +1 or -1 foot.

1 Reply
Field Dog
(@field-dog)

250+ posts

@back-chain

I remember my first day as a rodman. I held the Philly rod upside down on the very first pavement shot. The I-man was annoyed, but the party chief told him to chill out. Wonder if that I-man knew that sometimes you read an inverted rod as a check.

MathTeacher
(@mathteacher)
500+ posts

From the Report of the Topographical Survey of Baltimore, 1894

1 Reply
Field Dog
(@field-dog)

250+ posts

@mathteacher

Good read. Training is essential to run a survey smoothly.

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: