Community Forums

Share:

T2002  

Page 1 / 4

Gene Pierson
(@gene-pierson)
5+ posts

A little help please...

Just acquired a T2002, downloaded the manual, opened the battery bay door, but the bay is empty - no battery pack.

I see the two leads inside. I feel like I can build my own battery pack just to at least see if I can turn the unit on. But I don't know how many volts I need to make the battery pack. Is it 12 volts? Anyone built their own pack before?

Also can anyone advise which lead is positive and which is negative? It's not labeled on the machine.

Done pulling my hair out...grabbing a beer right now!

Many thanks

15 Replies
Shelby H. Griggs PLS
(@shelby-h-griggs-pls)
500+ posts

I can't remember what the internal battery was (probably 12VDC), BUT all Leica instruments (that I am aware of) will take an external 12VDC input to the lemo connector on the base, all you need is the proper cables to hook to any 12VDC battery to test the instrument.

SHG

SHG

pmonta
(@pmonta)
20+ posts

It is 12 V for the internal battery. Positive terminal is on the left. There's an eBay seller who makes an internal battery pack for the T2002 and similar units---the pictures tell the tale with regard to the polarity and voltage: red wire on the left, with 10 NiMH cells at 1.2 V each, so 12 V total. I have no experience with this battery pack (it's a bit pricey); for my theodolites, power is supplied via the external connector as mentioned by Shelby Griggs. The pinout for that connector is +12V, no connect, ground, serial RX, and serial TX for pins 1,2,3,4,5, where pin 1 is at the top and the pin numbers advance counterclockwise when viewing the theodolite's connector (female) from the outside. (If I remember right, the serial levels are 0 V and 5 V, not RS-232!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-6Ah-NiMH-Internal-Battery-Pack-for-Wild-Leica-T2000-T2002-T3000-w-Charger-/162353608129?

When (if?) the unit powers up, you may get errors such as "error 58". That means the internal memory-backup lithium cell has discharged and will need to be replaced. I've done that, and it's reasonably straightforward. If necessary I can describe the procedure for replacing the cell and re-entering the machine calibration constants that are printed on a small white label at the top of the battery compartment. You may get lucky, though, and have everything come up with no errors and ready to turn angles.

The full service manual is available from Juerg Dedual, proprietor of the Wild Heerbrugg archive:

http://www.wild-heerbrugg.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_3_5_29_33&MODsid=799b9fa1289303f1f0a68444ffca4db4

The service manual is apparently not listed on that page, so you'd have to email him to place an order for it.

The serial link is useful for recording data, incidentally. The raw angles, tiltmeter values (dual axis), and processed angles are all available.

Cheers,
Peter

pmonta
(@pmonta)
20+ posts

pmonta, post: 408869, member: 10428 wrote: you may get errors such as "error 58".

Ah, I misspoke. It's "error 8c" that indicates a bad internal cell. "Error 58" is benign and just means you haven't leveled up before turning the instrument on. Use the bubble level to get it close and power on again, and "error 58" should go away, to be replaced with angle measurements. The range of the internal tiltmeter is a few arcminutes, so level has to be that good before things will start up.

Cheers,
Peter

Gene Pierson
(@gene-pierson)
5+ posts

Thanks for the responses guys! I was able to boot it up for the first time today with positive lead on the left. I am getting that code error you talked about, 8c. But once I get it up and running and cleared, it works like a charm. Is the lithium battery hard to get to?

I just used some alligator clips and a small 12v lead battery pack to test it out. I'm working on a more permanent solution I thought of. (I'm going to use a Dewalt 12v battery that should fit in the battery bay. I'll try and share some pics of this.)

It's very exciting to see this thing come alive and feel how smooth and beautifully it operates. Someone took good care of this one. I picked it up for $150. I did download that manual, thanks for the link. There's definitely a learning curve on programming it. At times, I feel like I'm working with technology from the Apollo era! Lol! The color green lends to that retro feel - but this actually makes it fun.

One last question, I think I hear a fan running. Or maybe it's just a slight hum I hear. Does the board inside have a cooling fan? I don't see any vents though.

Thanks,
Gene

Page 1 / 4