Community Forums

Share:

State Plane Coordinate System of 2022  

Page 2 / 9

Glenn Borkenhagen
(@glenn-borkenhagen)
250+ posts
Posted by: MightyMoe

I recall it being .9994 for my WYEC (TM) or something like that. I can look it up, but then I'd have to look at that blue book again.

You need another "9" in that string, Hoss, specifically 0.9999375, it is the same in all Wyoming zones.

That is one part in 16,000 less than 1, easy to remember that way.

GB

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

I am a fan of low distortion projections.  Oregon has something like 25 defined zones and I routinely work in the "Portland Zone". The csf's are always much better than 1:100,000. It's not a problem.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

Thank you Shawn. I would like to repeat one part of that.

Many (if not most) users of SPC projections have been misled. They believe that NAD83 to ground distortions never exceed 1:10,000. The main reason for this misunderstanding is the poor way distortions have been explained and understood.

The 1:10,000 number relates to the distortion between geographic and SPC Grid. Getting from grid to ground introduces additional mutilations that can exceed 1:4,000 or more.

We all engage in our favorite form of mathematical violence to offset these distortions. Hopefully the 2022 push will get more of us 'in the loop' on how to deal with it where we work...

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

Oops, missed a 9

aliquot
(@aliquot)
500+ posts

There is no reason to continue using state plane coordinates. Today's software can easily handle the real curved surface of the earth. We don't need these approximations that were developed when calculations had to he done by hand anymore.  

Page 2 / 9