Community Forums

Sometimes You Just Get Lucky  

RSS

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
January 22, 2019 2:50 pm  

This morning I returned to a topo project that I started early last week, and promptly set the robot up on the last control point I had set.  However, it wasn't until I was all set up that I discovered that the control point wasn't in the DC - somehow it didn't get recorded.  There's only one other control point visible from the setup, but I was going to have to traverse anyway, so I decided to use the setup and fix it in the office later.  There was a DI about 20 feet east of the setup that I had shot last week, so I copied the DI point to create the setup control point, changing the easting by 20 feet and raising the elevation a couple of tenths.  I walked over to the backsight point and zeroed on it, and when I checked the backsight screen I saw this:

20190122 110018 1

Not bad for an eyeball job.

But better yet, when I later closed on another control point I only missed by 0.09'.

I wish I could attribute this to superior expertise, but I think sheer dumb luck played a larger role.

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Jim Frame

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
framesurveying.com

A Harris, gschrock and Bill C liked
ReplyQuote
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts Member
January 22, 2019 3:25 pm  

I use my Pocket Silva Ranger to get a bearing for the first backsight, just to be roughly close (nearest 2 degrees).

It is surprising how often StarNet will report the Silva Ranger bearing is within a few minutes of reality.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? -1 Corinthians 15:55

Bill C liked
ReplyQuote
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
January 22, 2019 4:10 pm  

I saw that title and thought, Yeah, sometimes you get lucky and others times you have an alcohol assist. 🤣 

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
Take the next step in your career, pass your licensure exam with PPI2Pass

Working

Please Login or Register