Community Forums

Share:
Notifications

"Section Subdivision"  

Page 2 / 2

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

The area with the huge reservoir? Good luck, that could be a big survey if no records of original corners exist. Hopefully some of the lands were surveyed when they built the dam.

Frank Willis
(@frank-willis)
500+ posts

Use the field notes from the GLO surveyors.  I briefly looked at them this morning, and it looks like they set all section corners and quarter corners.  If you have to resort to a full retracement survey, I recommend that you consider using it for finding or restoring the corners in the same place that GLO set them.  Under normal circumstances,  I would also recommend at least initially considering that the pro-rating would come from the proportionate distances GLO recorded on the survey if you have to go to the very last resort of pro-rating which is often dangerous, and in that case might also recommend boundary agreement.   I would not normally find a pro-rating or closing corner instruction more reliable than simply trying to follow what the GLO did and last resort pro-rating using the GLO's numbers.

That is an old survey in some tough terrain and where much appears to be disturbed.  Boundary agreement might be highly recommended in case someone decides to build the Mariott Hotel one inch from the section line next to the water a couple years down the road.

2 Replies
tjnap
(@tjnap)

5+ posts

@frank-willis

Frank...where did you find the field notes? Thanks

Frank Willis
(@frank-willis)

500+ posts

@tjnap

Louisiana State Land Office.  I have most of their records for townships here in my office.

send me an email.  frank@willisengineering.com

I'm teaching class at LSU this afternoon, but when I get back, I'll see if I can't help you get what you need.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

It looks like Section 4 may be subdivided:

1 Reply
holy cow
(@holy-cow)

10,000+ posts

@dave-karoly

The crossing of somewhat straight lines that are probably power lines in the eastern part of Section 4 reminded me of some early roads in an adjacent county to my home county.  They had approved quite a few roads that were diagonals from something like the NE section corner to the SW section corner.  In a couple cases I recall the road ran from the NE corner of a section to the southwest corner of a section about four miles to the west.

Page 2 / 2
Scroll to Top