Community Forums

Share:
Notifications

"Section Subdivision"  

Page 1 / 2

tjnap
(@tjnap)
5+ posts

What subdivision method should be used to define quarters and quarter-quarters of Section 5, T 20 N, R 5 W, Claiborne Parish, Louisiana?  Can you provide an applicable reference section in the Manual of Instructions for the Survey of the Public Lands of the United States? Thanks.

13 Replies
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

The north tier is not lotted. Surveyed in 1822. Did they set quarter section corners?

1 Reply
tjnap
(@tjnap)

5+ posts

@dave-karoly

Don't know as the Field Notes cannot be found.

Peter Ehlert
(@peter-ehlert)
2,500+ posts

get the Patent history (dates) for all of the patents in the section

Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts

I'll stipulate from the get-go, that my work has never involved much in the way of urban, suburban, or residentcial scenarios.

That said, the FIRST documentaion (after the "deed") that I want to look at, is the Federal Records (Plat, "field notes," Historical Index, and ORIGINAL Patents) relating to the property and its adjoiners.

When you see a "deed" that says somthing like;

"Beginning at the Northwest Corner of the Southeast ¼ of the Southwest ¼ of Section X, Thence North 660 feet, Thence East 1320 feet..."

And the the Original Patent is for the Northwest ¼ of the Southwest ¼ of Section X, THAT is a different scenario that if the Original Patent is for the ENTIRE Southwest ¼ (IMO).

As with Chaos Therory, Initial Conditions define what happens NEXT, and Complexity Theory alters the path with each choice (document) that comes along thereafter.

Edit: I forgot an IMPORTANT aspect in the Complexity part...each physical action (fence building, roads, occupation, etc.) also factor in big time (in most cases).

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." But you have to be on the right road to start with, if you hope to get where you need to be.

Loyal

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Depends on the official "instructions" that were in force in 1822, apparently.  Start with that.

2 Replies
Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @holy-cow

Depends on the official "instructions" that were in force in 1822, apparently.  Start with that.

Undoubtedly a lot different from the current manual. 

oldpacer
(@oldpacer)

100+ posts

@bill93

Often the manual, the instructions and what the surveyor did are different. Good Luck

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top