Community Forums

Share:

Robotic Total Station  

Page 2 / 4

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

If you like Leica you'll love GeoMax, especially when it's time to write the check.

1 Reply
Ken Salzmann
(@ken-salzmann)

500+ posts

@jim-frame

I have to second that.  My Geodimeter died and I went with Carlson CR2 and Sruveyor 2 data collector.  Once I got used to a slightly different way of doing things, it is a great combination.

Ken

Edm
 Edm
(@edm)
5+ posts

And what about the Leica 1203+...is less money...

3 Replies
Adam
 Adam
(@adam)

1,000+ posts

@edm

The 1203 was the first robot I purchased when I went into business around 2012. It worked great for years but is now a door stop. The power board went out and repairs were impractical.

Edm
 Edm
(@edm)

5+ posts

@adam

It's a bad business in our days?

Hooks
(@hooks)

20+ posts

@edm

I have a TCRP 1203 from 2005 and it runs like a top. Buying an older robot is a roll of the dice.

jt1950
(@jt50)
50+ posts

If you are not fussy about the brand, then try to look at a japanese brand like topcon or sokkia (now under topcon). They are no frills-get the job done type of equipment that would cost less than half of a Leica. Quality of a brand is really partly perception. I really hate to buy an expensive Leica TS and see it get muddy & wet. 

1 Reply
Edm
 Edm
(@edm)

5+ posts

@jt50

The issue is the technical assistance...which brand to choose

foggyidea
(@foggyidea)
2,500+ posts

Hasn't the Leica 1200 series been discontinued and is now unsupported?   

I have the TS 12 and am very happy, the TS15 would be awesome.

Andrew Clark
(@andrew-clark)
20+ posts

I rented a Geomax reflector-less robotic total station a few weeks back for a project. Great total station. The Geomax is basically the Chinese knock-off of the Leica 1203 (like most Geomax products, the Chinese version of an old style unit, with some newer bells and whistles it should be said). I'm thinking about getting one for the department soon.

1 Reply
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)

100+ posts

@andrew-clark

I would not go so far as to say 'Chinese knock-off as both Leica and Geomax are brands of Hexagon and the design was Leica.  Not sure, but I think the 1200 series theodolites was manufactured in Singapore.   Much of Chinese manufacturing is no longer junk.  Some of the Geomax line is current with what Leica offers as in their GNSS - both use the same 555 channel boards manufactured by Novatel, another Hexagon company.  Some of the differences are in the proprietary interface and firmware.  

Page 2 / 4
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: