Community Forums

Share:

Renting survey equipment to non-surveyors  

Page 1 / 5

(@lookinatchya)
100+ posts

Was recently approached by a former client about surveying a 500 acre tract of land he owns about a three hour drive from my office. He wants to do some timbering and post his lines. I told him the job was too big and too far for me to tackle and to look for a surveyor in his area. He got a quote from a local surveyor that he felt was too high. The quote included marking line every 100 feet and recording the survey. I thought the quote was very reasonable for the amount of work involved.

Still not satisfied the guy contacted a survey equipment dealer and inquired about renting GPS equipment to locate his corners as he thinks he knows where all of his corners are located. The dealer said they would gladly rent him the equipment. Then he ask if I would draw him a map with the coordinates from the GPS observations. To which I responded H#LL NO!

I guess a dealer is free to rent anything to anybody, but the whole thing does not sit well with me. I can see this happening more and more with all of the GIS and Google Earth information available to the public. Some area planning departments are requiring subdivision plans to be referenced to state plane and a DWG being submitted. What will keep someone from renting equipment and getting centimeter accuracy to locate corners set my a surveyor? Where are we going!

24 Replies
paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts

Lookinatchya, post: 349962, member: 7988 wrote: ... What will keep someone from renting equipment and getting centimeter accuracy to locate corners set by a surveyor? Where are we going!

It is a free country. The toys available to any one individual are limited only by their pocketbook.

Hopefully you're not implying the only thing that separates surveyors from the rest of the herd is our equipment.

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

Lookinatchya, post: 349962, member: 7988 wrote: What will keep someone from renting equipment and getting centimeter accuracy to locate corners set my a surveyor? Where are we going!

Turn them into your State Board for practicing Land Surveying without a license.

(@lookinatchya)
100+ posts

Hopefully you're not implying the only thing that separates surveyors from the rest of the herd is our equipment.[/quote wrote:

Not at all Paden. Only concerned with the DIY crowd. Seems like more and more I am trying to educate a layman about surveying and liability and applying boundary law to our work. Not sure where the public is getting the idea that everything is referenced to Google Earth and is on record at the courthouse. Or that the GIS map at the courthouse is gospel.

(@ekillo)
250+ posts

StLSurveyor, post: 349965, member: 7070 wrote: Turn them into your State Board for practicing Land Surveying without a license.

In NC a landowner can still survey their own property.

Page 1 / 5