Notifications
Clear all

ran into mountain lion  

Page 1 / 3

cole
 cole
(@cole)
20+ posts

i am a junior surveyor from northern colorado, was doing a survey plat on a 1200 acre parcel, basically 1 1/2 sections. i was walking a section line searching for stones in a really remote area, wooded an mountains. i was about 500 ft from the section corner when i saw out of the corner of my eye at my nine oclock a long tail and then the body of a cougar jogging to the north (where i was walking to get to the corner). full grown. i wonder how long it was following me. it jogged off into the woods and i only got a couple seconds look, no video so my co workers dont believe me. that was all for me for the day, went back to my truck without getting the corner, duh.

how often do you guys run into wildlife, and do you carry guns when doing remote surveying like this? i told my boss im not going up there alone any more. am i being a wuss?

18 Replies
Lurker
(@lurker)
20+ posts

I also work in Colorado. Have been alone and encountered bear, mountain lions, and rattlesnakes. The risk of falling and hurting a leg, knee, etc. is magnitudes greater than your exposure to wildlife. Possibly you would feel more comfortable carrying a can of "Bear Spray". If I were to refuse to go back alone, it wouldn't be because of the potential risk of exposure to wildlife.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

I have carried my 357 or 45 for years when working remote. When you have a corner that takes 12 or 14 hours to find and tie, you don't go back to the truck without a good reason.

Visit NLC Prep Today!

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

Can of 9 lives, and a can opener.....

(Works every time!)

N

Williwaw
(@williwaw)
1,000+ posts

I consider my self lucky any time I run into wild life. I really enjoy seeing critters and I've never felt threatened. On the other hand if you're by yourself and you get bitten by a rattler, you are in rather deep doo-doo. All that said if I was out in lion country, I probably would refrain from practicing my turkey calls. Whenever I'm in bear country which is right off the road where I'm working right now, I pack a 44 Anaconda in a chest holster and make plenty of noise. See sign all over but rarely see them, and I'm okay with that. 

Page 1 / 3
Scroll to Top