Community Forums

Profile board error  

RSS

Dt519
(@dt519)
FNG Member
January 10, 2019 1:36 pm  

Just wondering if anyone else has had this it's annoying me because it's so simple how can it go wrong. I have set out roads with profiles at 2m offsets and the lads boning in are getting the ground 30-40mm high along the whole road. On a crosstalk road all the high side ground was approx 40mm low. On the low side ground was approx 30mm high. I have set out with a point on my keypad I put it on the profile it says cut 1002mm etc so they are pretty much bang on. But when I put the pole on the ground it says the ground is 40mm low etc so inst agrees with profile. I've made a new traveller exactly right length when they bone it in it does look right but when a spirit level is held on the profile the profile traveller and inst agree the ground is 40mm low etc only thing I can think of is the 2m offset is causing some kind of trick of the eye. Has anybody else had this as it's making slot of work for the lads and I can't think what else could go wrong with such a simple method or a bit of wood thanks

ReplyQuote
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 2:04 pm  

Anybody know of a good English survey idiom to Yankee translator?

I think I get the gist of the problem, but don't know the specifics of how they "bone it in," a phrase that does not come up easily in Google.

Brad Ott and Ethan liked
ReplyQuote
RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 2:39 pm  
Posted by: Bill93

I think I get the gist of the problem, but don't know the specifics of how they "bone it in," a phrase that does not come up easily in Google.

Yes, it's probably best; not to Google 'Bone it in'

I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun.--Thomas A. Edison

Citius, altius, fortius

Brad Ott, Ethan, Dan B. Robison and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 2:40 pm  

You may be getting results of what the grade eould br at the offset location a nf not for your actual needed location.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Dt519
(@dt519)
FNG Member
January 10, 2019 2:41 pm  

Hello thanks reply  one man   looks from one profile to another and the second man holds the traveller on the ground to check the level

Cheers

ReplyQuote
R.J. Schneider
(@rj-schneider)
1,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 2:42 pm  

I never memorized the ℃ to ℉ formula. The one time I needed it, I referenced a book.

Feet to meters, and back again, sure. It just gives me the blues. The rest I just stare at, mildly interested.

field crew

ReplyQuote

Resolve to Get Licensed - Save 15% on Almost Everything

Dt519
(@dt519)
FNG Member
January 10, 2019 2:43 pm  

I did think that but I am getting it next to the profile setting out the point also. As well as picking two points and staking out the line the same point I and staking on top of the profile and getting 2mm

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Dt519

ReplyQuote
Dave Lindell
(@dave-lindell)
500+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 2:44 pm  

And while you're at it, add "profile board", "crosstalk road" and "traveler" to my dictionary.

Ethan and R.J. Schneider liked
ReplyQuote
Dt519
(@dt519)
FNG Member
January 10, 2019 2:52 pm  
Posted by: A Harris

You may be getting results of what the grade eould br at the offset location a nf not for your actual needed location.

Thanks for the sensible reply 

Ethan liked
ReplyQuote
squowse
(@squowse)
500+ posts Member
January 12, 2019 3:37 pm  

So is it a crowned road (2 grades) ir one grade? What level are you putting on the profile? The channel point or an extension of the grade to the 2m offset? And what method/program are you using to do that? 

ReplyQuote
iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

Working

Please Login or Register