Problem Source: Carlson, GeoMax or Me?
My SOP for setting control and tying monuments on small sites is to turn 1 set, BSD-BSR-FSD-FSR. Today started like any other, and everything was working fine until around noon, when at a new setup I tried to turn a set. I got the BSD, BSR and FSD shots, but then the DC popped up an error message about a horizontal angle error of almost 180°. I've seen this before and always attributed it to some kind of glitch in the DC software (SurvCE v5 on a Carlson Surveyor+). Starting the set over has always cleared it up.
That didn't work today. I checked my settings to see if I had inadvertently changed one, but didn't see anything amiss there. I tried a new set a couple more times, then tried exiting and relaunching SurvCE. When that didn't work I tried rebooting the gun. No improvement. I then rebooted the DC, with the same results. Both had good battery levels.
I'm stumped. Any ideas?
P.S. After showing the error message, the DC shows zeroes for the FSR (I think) angle and distance, even though it appeared to take the shot.
(Forgot to subscribe to this topic.)
I had somewhat the same problem on July 3 and had to go back 40yrs and write all my angles and distances down in the field book for a 12+ acre ranchette NE of Mount Pleasant, Tx.
First shot from backsite to setup went great and everything flipped out when I started side shooting.
Messed with it and by backup DC for about an hour before they locked up and would not even turn on.
That night back at the office they both worked perfectly.
Ghost in the machine is all I can attribute to that.........
What kinds of distance was there between your collector and the robot (possible interference issue)?
All close-in, ranging from 23' to 135'.
What version/build of SurvCE 5.x are you using? I've not heard of any issues like this (the Carlson Tech Support Group might have other insights).
I start to wonder if the BlueTooth radio frequency started to get trampled on by something else in the area.
Possible, of course. Maybe unlikely because the backsight shots worked fine in all cases, while the failure occurred consistently on the FS shots, which were roughly at 90° and 180° from the gun.
Another thought... was the collector getting too hot
It was hot -- mid-90s -- but nothing this DC hasn't routinely worked well in.
Thanks for the thoughts, and if anything else pops into your head please let me know. I'll try again tomorrow from another setup and see how it goes. The gun was setup behind a furniture store and close to the building, so I suppose it's possible that some piece of office equipment inside was messing with the comms. I only tried from that one setup before packing up for the day, so maybe it was location-specific.
I might try a reboot of the Carlson on the collecor. Then checking the firmware on the data collector, through Juniper. It's up 1.8.9 or some such thing.