Community Forums

Share:

Pin cushion pics needed  

Page 6 / 6

scottb
(@scottb)
20+ posts

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the picture, but the best picture I had was of two YPC's set on opposite sides of a fence corner post, representing the same corner, +/- .4 foot apart by the same surveyor. When I called and asked him about it, he said it was sometimes hard to keep track of the different surveyors he had working for him. In his defense he did good work in the majority of his work, and was embarrassed by it.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

These little 2 or 3 tenth pincushions are cute but don’t even compare to the 80 foot pincushion (surveyor rejected a 90 year old 1/16th corner post) or the 900 foot pincushion (surveyor rejected original quarter section corner post in favor of fence line deemed better evidence and convinced superior court of righteousness of his point).

1 Reply
dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

This is a good point. The 2 or three tenth pincushion are typically irrelevant, except to make surveyors look stupid. The ones that do not fit in a picture are much more dangerous.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

The worst variety involves a stone set in the 1800's for a section center corner and relied upon since then by the landowners and a (calculated--not set) coordinate determined to be the center that is used to determine the "true" corner of some smaller aliquot part.  No journey to the area of the center corner was made because the surveyor "knew" there is only one true center and that is where he calculated it to be.  The "coordinate" surveyor needs to be stripped of his license and made to pay damages to every landowner in that section who could be damaged by some future surveyor following this guys crap work.

1 Reply
dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

Not to beat a very old dead horse, but if the BLM does that, is that a pincushion?

It wasn't a center of section, but there was a 1/16th corner that everyone had held for quite a long time, and I went back to it one day and about half a foot away was a shiny new BLM monument. 

David3038
(@david3038)
50+ posts

Today

19B92615 08B9 4CD7 AB6D 49EA5832133D

bama7x57
(@bama7x57)
20+ posts

I guess pincushions aren't just a recent phenomena.

IMG 5319

Page 6 / 6
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool: