Community Forums

Share:

Pin cushion pics needed  

Page 1 / 6

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

I am preparing a slide show for a chapter meeting and am in need of some of the worst pin cushion pics you have.

If you have them please post them for me to use.

42 Replies
dms330
(@dms330)
250+ posts

it's hard to beat the one on this recent thread:

https://rplstoday.com/community/surveying-geomatics/so-close-but-so-far-away/

1 Reply
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)

1,000+ posts

I already have that saved. I am looking for more, you might say a PLETHORA. And, yes I do know what a plethora is.

Jon Collins
(@jon-collins)
250+ posts

At another location one of these guys also politely told another surveyor in town that he wasnt accepting his cap by 0.13ft.

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

The one set with a Javad is correct....

(Grin)

Nate

NEIL T
(@neil-t)
5+ posts

B88420A6 65A1 4710 B5C7 C26BEE898437

the angle iron was the called monument. Two of the pipes are not of public record.....

4 Replies
dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

If they arent of record, and have no LS number, why would this be a pincushion? Only the angle iron has any meaning or value in that case.

Steven Metelski
(@steven-metelsky)

100+ posts

Not every state files a survey for public records.

In New Jersey, only original calls hold when land is created. IE if I set a cap on a 100 x 100 foot lot in an existing subdivision, that cap represents my best effort to model the original intent of the location of that lot within the overall subdivision based on record control found.

If my field methods were poor or I don't recover enough original evidence, the cap will be set 'wrong.'

A next surveyor has several options when the corner is not a "record monument"

1. Finds the cap and reports the offsets to his calc'd property lines.

2. Finds the cap, reports the offsets and sets his own cap.

3. Does not find the cap because it is outside his search area and sets his cap.

dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

In that case, shouldn't they remove the wrong one? It seems outrageous that you would simply leave multiple "correct" pins.

mattharnett
(@mattharnett)

250+ posts

First, who are "they" and second I didn't install any of them --- would be my response to removing items.

I know how you feel though.  I'd love to be able to just yank anything I deem wrong (and by wrong I mean really wrong).

In PA, there is no requirement to attach your name to your points. Don't get me wrong: A lot of us do put our names on at least one or two points per survey but you can't tag a drill hole or a pipe you found.

Every time you start a survey around here, you have weed out the bad points.  After 30 years, you'd think you'd have a good handle on all those bad ones out there but they just keep pounding more in.

I think the most I've ever found at one corner was 4 maybe 5.  It's not bad when they're touching or a tenth away.

I recently found a surveyor's point with a tall stake next to it and a car axle driven in about 5" away. This is apparently a correction of some "mistake" from 26 years ago. The problem is that the line and the points are 140' from the 'reasonable' location AND the axle, cap and stake are placed within state highway right-of-way.  That's their correction of something that was acquiesced over the last 26 years: They set the guys 'correct' point way out in the state highway. The cap has their name on it.  The client slammed in a car axle next to it.  I'm absolutely flabbergasted.  They are dead wrong and I can't yank them. Also, they don't seem to realize the error their ways.

I'm with you, though. It seems outrageous.

Page 1 / 6
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: