Community Forums

Share:

OSHA Rules for heat  

Page 3 / 4

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Where's Ted?  We need him to motivate Brad..............................................................................and me,too.

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

My limit was last Wednesday when I reached the POB of my latest traverse around 200±ac, angles +0°00'12" closure N18°E 0.05ft.

Those frog togg water-soaked blanket over my neck and shoulders and a water-soaked doorag under a wide brimmed straw hat on my head work great.

I am on hiatus from exposure to daytime outside adventures apart from getting to truck and back into dwelling until further notice.

currently hazy 99F feels like 110F

😎

Monte
(@monte)
500+ posts

I was kinda discussing the heat and working conditions yesterday with my younger brother, who has some free time at the moment, so is trying to help out at the survey office.  (How's that going you ask??  Not too good!!!)   I was telling him about how I have actually been accused of animal abuse for making my horse work in the heat.  No comment about me being out in the same heat, mind you.  No, those young ladies didn't care about that, but they was all in a tizzy about my poor horse being out in the heat.

makerofmaps
(@makerofmaps)
500+ posts

Here's some apps. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillness/heat_index/heat_app.html  

Of course if you want to get fancy

Kestrel 5400 Waterless WBGT Heat Stress Tracker

I think this is what our linemen are going to start using.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

Heat is no joke.

Just got the accident report, 29 year old FF, full PPE and helmet, 79 degrees, passed away due to heat illness.

be careful, take it seriously.

3 Replies
Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts

@dave-karoly

Yeah.  We had a young lady in Metro Atlanta die this week while conditioning for high school basketball, from heat stress. 

Andy

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)

10,000+ posts

@andy-bruner

When the email came out a week ago that a young Firefighter had a medical event my first thought was heat illness, they wear nomex uniform pants, heavy smokejumper boots, yellow nomex pants and jacket, helmet and web gear (a backpack with water bladder, lunch, fire tent which looks like a giant foil bag when deployed) plus they carry handtools. I avoid the nomex as much as I can.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts

@dave-karoly

During the BP oil spill cleanup on the beach in Alabama we had some sites where the workers had to wear Tyvek.  Often they could only work for 10 minutes per hour.  I called Tyvek, "Heat Stroke in a box".

Andy

Page 3 / 4