Community Forums

Share:

Older Total Station with Newer Data Collector  

Page 1 / 2

Surveyor1985
(@surveyor1985)
5+ posts

Hello all,

I am just getting started and have purchased an older total station (specifically a Sokkia SET 5..). Can I run a newer data collector with this or do I need to get something a little older? I have been looking at some used TSC2 rangers on EBAY with Survey Pro that are going for 500$. Any advice or experiences you have had would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am just getting started and cannot go out and get any top of the line equipment right now. Thanks!

7 Replies
Jeran Hopfe
(@jeran-hopfe)
5+ posts

MicroSurvey FieldGenius has had support for both of these items in the past, but are currently not maintained/updated (they are both old, so it may not matter).  You can request a free demo here:  https://www.microsurvey.com/products/fieldgenius/ to try it out and see if it works for you.  It may allow you to make the connection between the two pieces of equipment, and is reasonably priced if you would like to purchase.  I realize that you are just getting started, but I don't think the Spectra software will allow that connection.

JerryS
(@jerrys)
250+ posts

Survey Pro has drivers that will work with a SET 5.  If I am not mistaken, you should use the SET 2-WAY driver.

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

Congrats. As a new surveyor, I cannot help but say "get reflectorless". I like the narrow beam ones. That's gonna be Leica. I don't know if anybody else made a good narrow beam one.

The things you can do w/ reflectorless, well, it's well worth it.

N

Surveyor1985
(@surveyor1985)
5+ posts

Thanks for the feedback. I may just purchase one and see how it works. Worst case I can just sell it if they cant communicate. The gun came with a HP48 but I do not have the download software and haven't used a 48 in about 15 years.

Page 1 / 2