Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Man arrested as Land Surveyor Imposter  

Page 1 / 2

Chuck Beresford
(@chuck-beresford)
100+ posts

Let's see if I can figure out how to copy the link correctly: http://www.da5.us/2018/12/man-arrested-as-land-surveyor-imposter-fraud/

If my link doesn't work,  the link is from the Colorado Fifth Judicial District Attorney's Office, and the article starts with this (first paragraph copied directly from the link above):

December 30,2018

LEADVILLE, COLO. – Alex Hagan, 30, was arrested Nov. 29, 2018, on charges of : Offering False Instrument/Recording (F5); Forgery (F5); Forgery Device (F6); Criminal Impersonation (F6); Theft of $750-$2,000 (M1); and, Surveyor-Unauthorized Practice (M2). The arrest warrant states that Defendant Hagan although not a licensed land surveyor was operating a bandit land survey business in Lake County. In order to complete this scheme, Hagan was using an official seal, surveyor license number, and fraudulently completing documents such as “Improvement Location Certificates” with another, legitimate surveyor’s identity. That licensed surveyor had not done any work in the State since 2014, but Hagan was now using his name to do the illegal surveys.

11 Replies
moosetmj
(@moosetmj)
50+ posts

My buddy works for the company (in Avon) that he stole the stamp from.  Apparently was a real a**h** with a drug problem.  Business address was his hotel room.  Hopefully they put him away for awhile.  I wonder how many mortgage transactions used his ILCs for closing.

1 Reply
Chuck Beresford
(@chuck-beresford)

100+ posts

I as wondering the same thing regarding ILCs and any other documents he may have signed in conjunction with a real estate transaction. The same article (more or less) was posted in the local Leadville CO paper- I would assume any title company in the area would be digging back through their files to see how many fraudulent surveys they have on hand in conjunction with closings they may have been involved in.

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
1,000+ posts

Sorry for the [slight] threadjack, Chuck.  After being laid up for a few days I'm feeling my oats today.

Suffice to say that the proposed mandatory continuing education bill would not likely help much in this circumstance.

sarcasm
1 Reply
Chuck Beresford
(@chuck-beresford)

100+ posts

Hiya Gene. Sorry to hear you have been "under the weather" lately- hope that is a short term problem.

Agreed on Continuing Ed not being a solution to this problem. I seem to remember a similar case in Colorado about 20 years ago, but cannot remember the particulars. I *do* remember, however, that the legitimate Surveyor whose license was hijacked was the one posting the info here on the old Forum board and he had to do a lot of checking with title companies and working with the Board's investigator to get the problem rectified (even though it wasn't his fault.). His case way back when may be why we have to submit a copy of our actual license when we order a stamp here through the local vendors (a good practice IMO).

Continue to get better and hope to run into again you soon.

Best~ Chuck

Visit NLC Prep Today!

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
250+ posts

I hope they lop off his finger tips.  I hate ILCs, did lots of them for the company I worked for, and refused the one that the opposing realtor had done when I bought my current house in favor of the ISP I had performed by a licensed surveyor I knew through work. A real survey.

I hope the title companies feel some stinging on their lack of due diligence, because they are responsible for the veracity of these documents they fool people into believing matter.  #RealSurveysMatter

😉

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
1,000+ posts

On a serious note, Alex Hagen, Unlicensed is listed on the agenda of the Jan. 11, 2019 AES Board meeting (page 3 of 3).  The Board will most likely issue a cease and desist order and hopefully add a $5000.00 fine to the future felon's sentence.

ETA:  Yeah Chuck, spent three days at Swedish and had several interesting discussions with my care givers about continuing medical education!  😀 

BTW....I received excellent care!

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top