Hi, I am trying to draw a circle in Magnet Field 5.1 from any 3 points on the circumference, can anyone help.
I can Topo a circle but I need to draw one retrospectively from any 3 points.
I have tried within Map and within Calculate, Enter Plan.
Thanks, for any help.
To draw the circle you will need to create linework. From the home menu go to Edit. Then click Linework and click Add in the lower right corner. This will take you to the following screen.
1. Click Add Points. Select a method to add the points and add the three points you want to use. They will then appear in the points list. The line will start out looking like two lines of a triangle.
2. Select the first point in the list
3. Click the Control Codes button. These options work just like the control codes for drawing lines with codes in Topo. Select the icon for Circle Edge.
4. Enter a name for you linework. Typical linework names in MAGNET Field are the code of the points plus a string number.
5. Click the green check-mark to save the line.
The drawing tools in Magnet field suck big time. To create the smallest drawing takes ages and isn't intuitive.
I used to use carslson survce which has kind of a cad style drawing mode. Much better.
I always use a laptop to draw stuff and upload to the fieldbook through an usb-stick. Never use magnet field for that.
I told topcon this but they seem not to care about this. I've cancelled my subscription because of this. they don't listen to the customer. The manual is bad as is the software Magnet Tools. No manual, no videos.
One example I am getting my head round is the Exchange From File To File etc why not just say Import and Export!
One of the guys at work thinks the words import and export are copyrighted standard windows terminology, and Topcon couldn't use them. I think the programmer wanted something nonstandard, just to be different. I prefer To Collector and From Collector.
Thanks for all your input, there's some interesting stuff for me to investigate there.
My preference for videos available on YouTube stems from my experience with two excellent pieces of software. Firstly Rapidplan by Invarion, and secondly Kubla cubed, check them out. Hosting them on a website is good too, as well, but there can be a bit of an exclusivity trap there. 'How to' videos are also an important guide in assessing a product before purchase. Navigating an unfamiliar website, registering or even purchasing are all barriers. Some products may still be good but are unsuitable for some companies.
I speak from personal experience of our company having invested in a piece of software that was hard to get a decent view of and I think is unsuitable for the company size, and my unqualified opinion is, its C**P!