Save 15% on almost everything

Community Forums

Longest Distance with S7??  

Page 1 / 3 Next
standing on the corner
(@standing-on-the-corner)
20+ posts Registered

I need to make a 14,000' shot with an S7. I plan on using standard -30 mm prisms. Any tips or tricks that I might need to know? Should I plan on holding black cardboard behind the sight to be able to see anything?

TIA

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:16 am
Scott Zelenak
(@scott-zelenak)
500+ posts Registered

You won't see it. Use a strong strobe light, triple prism holder and if the gun has a strength of return signal indicator use that to dial in.

And the angels, terrible and without pity, carry savage weapons, and their torture is unmerciful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:25 am
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Registered

One time we had to do a long shot down a power line. We only had a single prism with us. We wound up setting a nail somewhere near the middle of the line, and shooting the dist from BOTH ends. Essentially, it was a "Chaining Nail".
Or, you might JAVAD it!

N

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:31 am
Scotland
(@scotland)
500+ posts Registered

I agree with Scott. Doubt you will see it. We sometimes use a hand mirror to flash the Instrument Man to get a sight on the location. The specs state:
Measurement range Prism mode
1 prism. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,500 m (8,202 ft) 1 prism Long Range mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5,500 m (18,044 ft) (max. range)

Scott Weese

Professional Land Surveyor : Shields Survey Ltd. Co. : Raton, NM 87740 : http://www.shieldssurvey.com
(575)445-1232 [office] ~ (575)445-3648 [fax] ~ (575)447-2230 [cell]

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:32 am
Scotland
(@scotland)
500+ posts Registered

I agree with Scott. Doubt you will see it. We sometimes use a hand mirror to flash the Instrument Man to get a sight on the location.
The specs state:
1 prism. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,500 m (8,202 ft)
1 prism Long Range mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5,500 m (18,044 ft) (max. range)
So it should be doable if you can get the gun to see it.

Scott Weese

Professional Land Surveyor : Shields Survey Ltd. Co. : Raton, NM 87740 : http://www.shieldssurvey.com
(575)445-1232 [office] ~ (575)445-3648 [fax] ~ (575)447-2230 [cell]

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:33 am
James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
2,500+ posts Registered

Scott Zelenak, post: 450639, member: 327 wrote: You won't see it. Use a strong strobe light, triple prism holder and if the gun has a strength of return signal indicator use that to dial in.

+1

The longest shot I took back in the day when I was in the field all the time was about 8,000 with a Set 3. I had to drape a florescent vest on the tripod to get in the general vicinity and move the cross hairs around until I got a return.

“Nothing grows old-fashioned so fast as modernity.”
― Robertson Davies

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:35 am
squowse
(@squowse)
500+ posts Registered

Scotland, post: 450644, member: 559 wrote: I agree with Scott. Doubt you will see it. We sometimes use a hand mirror to flash the Instrument Man to get a sight on the location.
The specs state:
1 prism. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,500 m (8,202 ft)
1 prism Long Range mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5,500 m (18,044 ft) (max. range)
So it should be doable if you can get the gun to see it.

I wonder how Long Range mode is engaged on an S7, I have never noticed it.
Maybe long pressing the Tracking/Std button?

Finelock/Activelock is only specced to 700m

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 10:30 am
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Registered

One gallon plastic bucket, spray some orange paint over the bucket, cut a hole in the center of the lid and the bottom of the bucket, slide a 4 or 5' length of pipe the correct diameter for your mirror set, drill two sets of holes through the pipe and use them to plump the pipe with some wire strung through them hooked to some spikes in the ground, put the mirror or mirrors in the pipe on top of the bucket, you will see it easily if there are no heat waves.

If you have heat waves you may not see an airplane at 14,000'

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 10:49 am
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Registered

Triple prism sets are for sale on ebay. I have one Ill never use.
N

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 11:02 am
Chris Bouffard
(@chris-bouffard)
100+ posts Registered

standing on the corner, post: 450636, member: 8561 wrote: I need to make a 14,000' shot with an S7. I plan on using standard -30 mm prisms. Any tips or tricks that I might need to know? Should I plan on holding black cardboard behind the sight to be able to see anything?

TIA

I'm curious as to why you would need to make an almost 3 mile direct measurement. That seems like quite the task. What are the terrain and line of site conditions? Why not use GPS long static observations?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 11:42 am
Dan Patterson
(@dan-patterson)
1,000+ posts Registered

Yea what is the reason you need this shot? Just curious...

Daniel J Patterson, PLS, PE

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 11:47 am
Dave Tlusty
(@dave-tlusty)
250+ posts Registered

standing on the corner, post: 450636, member: 8561 wrote: I need to make a 14,000' shot with an S7. I plan on using standard -30 mm prisms. Any tips or tricks that I might need to know? Should I plan on holding black cardboard behind the sight to be able to see anything?

TIA

When I had a Geodimeter 4400, we tried to see how far we could measure with a single prism. At 4 miles, I told my helper to point the truck at me, turn on the high beams, and stand between the headlights. Yes, we got a bit over 4 miles to one prism and actually the headlights were hard to see (this was during the day). I was on a ridge that dropped off pretty fast and then it was very flat ground for miles. Between headlights during the day or if at night and not accessible by vehicle, a very bright light shining back to the instrument will help you get in the vicinity of the prism.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 11:47 am
standing on the corner
(@standing-on-the-corner)
20+ posts Registered

This long sight is for connecting the ends of a block by block (for 47 blocks) traverse on a coordinate system with known errors from east to west.

A GPS baseline converted to ground or mark to mark would get us close. But I still planning on trying this optically.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 1:13 pm
Jeff S
(@jeff-s)
5+ posts Registered

Completely unnecessary, but still fun to do I guess.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 1:59 pm
C Billingsley
(@c-billingsley)
500+ posts Registered

I agree you probably won't be able to see it. I would definitely recommend the triple prism, and it might help if you could do it at night. You could put a light on the rod to help it stand out.

Don't confuse effort with results - Ben Smith
Ninety percent of this game is half mental - Yogi

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 2:51 pm
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register

Service Before the Sale -- Supplies, Rentals, Repairs