Community Forums

Share:

Local Coordinate System  

Page 4 / 8

Squirltech
(@squirl)
250+ posts

ALL of our surveys are tied to existing control in one way or another. We sometimes use local site calibrations but generally 1) control is either provided by a third party or 2) we set our own control using static.

aliquot
(@aliquot)
1,000+ posts

Maybe about 5%. Only when GPS is not practical. But I use 0,0  not 5000,5000 negative numbers don't bother me. The remainder of my surveys are true mean geodetic with NAD83 Lat and Long. I never use state plane, unless I neeed it to retrace an earlier surveyor. 

1 Reply
Williwaw
(@williwaw)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: aliquot

"The remainder of my surveys are true mean geodetic with NAD83 Lat and Long."

BLM cadastral work? I use a BLM fellows software he wrote called 'gogo' to do this type of work, but have little call for it under my present circumstances. I'd wager you know him. 

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

The remainder of my surveys are true mean geodetic with NAD83 Lat and Long.

What field and office software do you use that allows you to work directly in geographic coordinates?

1 Reply
aliquot
(@aliquot)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: Jim Frame

The remainder of my surveys are true mean geodetic with NAD83 Lat and Long.

What field and office software do you use that allows you to work directly in geographic coordinates?

Carlson and topsurv.

Aggie03RLS
(@aggie03rls)
5+ posts

I will use a local 5000,5000, 1000 survey for jobs where GPS is not practical (Excess Tree Cover, Buildings, etc.).   I will shoot it all conventional on the said local coordinate system but I will leave 2 GPS receivers on control points used on site as well as another one at the closest Section Corner or NGS Point or known Control Point.  If you post process the static data from these control points, you can rotate and translate your local site to the desired datum.  Sometimes its not necessary to convert it, but its nice to have the static data if needed.

Daniel Ralph
(@daniel-ralph)
500+ posts

More than 75% of the work that I do starts at a local coordinate system, be it 3000/5000 or an extension of something that is previously recorded by me or others. For the type of boundary retracement that I do, there is usually no reason to introduce another bearing system to the mix. However, I am seeing a shift from using what I want to use as a coordinate system to being forced to use some other geopolitical system in order to accommodate someone who has no clue what it is that they are requiring. 

1 Reply
(@hlbennettpls)

250+ posts
Posted by: Daniel Ralph

More than 75% of the work that I do starts at a local coordinate system, be it 3000/5000 or an extension of something that is previously recorded by me or others. For the type of boundary retracement that I do, there is usually no reason to introduce another bearing system to the mix. However, I am seeing a shift from using what I want to use as a coordinate system to being forced to use some other geopolitical system in order to accommodate someone who has no clue what it is that they are requiring. 

Very well said and 100% true!

Page 4 / 8