Community Forums

Community Forums

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Lithium Ion battery for running GS14 and PDL4335 radio - ideas or reommendations please!  

Damien
(@damien)
FNG

Hi,

Looking for some advice or insights on a battery for running my GS14 and Pac Crest PDL4335 radio.  I just received a WSC-90530 cable (and Pac Crest SAE to pig-tail adaptor with fuse) and am now looking for a battery.  I was given some data sheets on a couple recommended 6 cell batteries (dry cell and agm) but I'd like to go lithium ion for lightness and longevity.  Ideally, the Li-Ion battery I'm looking for is not much bigger than 125mm x 200mm x 250mm, as the plan is to house it in a Pelican case with the cables, antenna and radio (when in transport/not in use).  Would need the battery to run the 35 watt radio and GNSS head for 12 hours minimum. Would also like the battery terminals to be threaded posts (around M6).  Is this possible or am I dreaming?  I'm not really all that well versed in batteries, so any and all comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Damien  

5 Replies
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

You are looking for Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFeP04) and not Li-Ion.  They are very light and compact when compared to good old lead acid.  A 50Ah will run you around $500 but it would weigh in at a mere 6 kg in a compact 210 mm x 110 mm x147 mm.  Their output characteristics are superior to lead acid as well.  The one draw back I see is the name.  While the LiFePO4 batteries do not have the overheating problem associated with Li-Ion, the FAA still makes it almost impossible to ship by commercial aircraft.  That ruins it for me.

Check out bioennopower dot com. 

2 Replies
Damien
(@damien)

FNG

@john-putnam

Thanks John. I had found a LiFePO4 batter I thought would be appropriate, but it is a 35Ah. You think a 50Ah would be better for my requirements though? The size and weight is really attractive for such a powerful cell.

Thanks again,

Damien

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)

1,000+ posts

@damien

I'm not sure what size would work best for you.  Pacific crest should have some documentation on amp hour requirements at various output levels.  From there you can figure your sizing.  I just through the 50Ah out there as an example.

Eric Kara
(@eric-kara)
100+ posts
1 Reply
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)

1,000+ posts

@eric-kara

That is only 16Ah.  I'm not sure how long it would run the radio for

Visit NLC Prep Today!

Scroll to Top