Community Forums

Community Forums

Landlocked parcel  

Page 3 / 3

A Harris
Posts: 8409
5,000+ posts
Joined: 10 years ago

Cash only, with no access, no mortgage company will touch it.

According to HUD, a property would only sell for what it can be appraised for unless it was an auction and it was a much-wanted item.

Usually, before a property goes into sheriff sell, the taxing entity will hand it over to a collection firm to try and force someone to pay the taxes.

If some company has found a way to buy the property before a Sheriff sell, then that circumvents the usual procedure.

Any property sold would be for an amount that must be approved by the appropriate parties that control the taxing areas and satisfy all of them as to the amount owed or agreed percentage of.

You and anyone that would be able to supply means to access the property should be able to grant access and possibly be able to borrow money, otherwise, it would still be a cash purchase.

Posts: 126
100+ posts
Joined: 5 years ago

There is a lot about this particular situation I do not know, but first,  find out if the defunct owner(s) are still available and try to buy the parcel from them, the bankruptcy lienholder and pay off the back taxes. A sheriff's sale is up to the highest bidder. Someone could buy the parcel, sue you for access and (depending on how the title chain works ) get an easement across your property. Consult a Real Estate attorney, to see if you holding the tax lien, bankruptcy lien and a deed access to the property would give you any leverage?  Good Luck.

John Hamilton
Posts: 2735
2,500+ posts
Joined: 9 years ago

I did do a lot of research in the early 2000's when I bought my property. The owner of record is Crestview Land Company, doesn't exist anymore. It was a company created to do several subdivisions around here in the 60s-70's, then folded/disappeared/disincorporated, whatever. Yes, one of the adjoiners could tear down their house to provide access, problem is that for the last 20 years or more there has been a PA DEP moratorium on sewer taps due to one house downstream getting water in the basement after a heavy rain. I posted extensively here about that problem as well, I think I could beat that in court because they are claiming it is a sanitary overflow but I am fairly certain (almost 100%) it is a storm issue due to a too small pipe at the downstream edge of the property that gets flooded(pipe is on private property of two adjoiners). But that is a long story....In any case I am not yet ready to develop my 8.5 acres yet, maybe in about 5 years or so when I get to 65, although my wife wants to sell now and move to an area with less taxes. 

The last two years we have gotten some really heavy flooding rains, and there are flooding issues all over the municipality, which was mostly developed in the 60's. They are very hesitant to try to fix anything right now because they think it will open a can of worms and everyone will want their flooding problem addressed. I have been to council meetings where apparently the same people show up every month to complain but the council just listens and then does nothing. 

I built my house near the top of the hill, so flooding is not an issue except that it prevents me from developing the property. The image shows 2' contours (preconstruction). 




Brad Ott
Posts: 4641
2,500+ posts
Joined: 10 years ago
Posted by: @john-hamilton

although my wife wants to sell now and move to an area with less taxes. 

Sounds like a smart plan.

Page 3 / 3
Scroll to Top

Please Login or Register