Community Forums

Share:

July 12 2019: Galileo System Failure START DATE EVENT (UTC): 2019-07-11 01:00  

Page 1 / 4

Mark Silver
Vendor
(@mark-silver)
500+ posts

It appears that the Galileo GNSS system has failed (the entire constellation). The official [ status page : https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-status/Constellation-Information ] lists all SV's as degraded.

The NAGU [ https://www.gsc-europa.eu/notice-advisory-to-galileo-users-nagu-2019025 ] has details.

All my test receivers are tracking but not using GAL, I have confirmed similar status in Europe.

This will be a good chance to appreciate the system going forward. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Mark

36 Replies
gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts

Yep. Remember the I famous Glonass ( ephemeris related) failure years ago? Hopefully it is a learning experience over there at the ESA. 

All the more reason to pack 4 constellations instead of just one or two.  😀

rberry5886
(@rberry5886)
500+ posts

Well shucks, I recently added Galileo to my R8-3 😫 

hpalmer
(@hpalmer)
100+ posts

Galileo must be back up as I am tracking 5 of 7 and only 4 of 4 glonass - whats up with glonass?

1 Reply
Mark Silver
Vendor
(@mark-silver)

500+ posts

@hpalmer

(I am writing this Sunday morning, 9:00 am 14July2019 Mountain Time, 15:00 UTC.)

Tracking / Using: Occasionally a few GAL SV's are used, then a few seconds later they revert to unused. But there are lots of SV's tracked.

My test stations here in Utah are currently tracking 6 but using 0. GLO is tracking 9 using 8, which seems about right.

The low GLONASS count you observed is probably just a function of constellation, elevation mask and obstructions.

Currently the NAGU has been changed to reflect a starting failure time of 2019-07-12 01:50 and a note "UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, THE SIGNALS ARE NOT TO BE USED."

There are now a few articles online (but surprisingly few considering):

Galileo Service Degraded On All Satellites Until Further Notice

https://slashdot.org/story/19/07/14/022243/galileo-satellite-positioning-service-outage

Galileo down over weekend

One article blames a precise timing facility in Italy.

The twitter account for Galileo ( https://twitter.com/galileognss?lang=en ) only mentions the upbeat celebration of '10-years of activities'. 

I don't want to go too negative here, but this is an unbelievably bad reflection on the entire Galileo program. I don't know anything about setting up a navigation satellite system, but I would think that if you build something that costs BILLIONS of dollars (and goes over estimate more than 50%) there would be a backup system in place.

That it has been down for over 48-hours means that there is not a backup system in place.

When I contacted industry friends in Europe to confirm that they are also seeing failures, to a person they all had something nasty to say about the Galileo program (very rude condemnations of the program.)

I suppose that it will take a long time build trust after this. And to get the up-time metrics back up. Assuming that the system is repaired today:

(10 years * 365 - 3) / (10 years * 365) = 3647 / 3650 = 0.9992

That is only three 9's. And 10 years of service is being really generous. I don't think it really became of much use until 2014 so that is more like 5-years of service:

(5 years * 365 - 3) / (5 years * 365 ) = 1822 / 1825 = 0.9984

I have hard drives in laptops that have run that long.

Mark Silver
Vendor
(@mark-silver)
500+ posts
2 Replies
Bill93
(@bill93)

5,000+ posts

The discussions during the scare about interference from LightSquared showed that it would be at least a small catastrophe, if not worse.  The biggest civilian problem is so many non-navigation systems rely on it for timing and have no backup. At the time, that included cell towers, a lot of police, fire, and emt radio networks, and business systems.

People would also have to read maps, imagine that.

dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

Forget maps...without precise timing, your access to rplstoday.com would be in jeopardy, as well as your ATM transaction, and your cell phone call, etc etc etc

Page 1 / 4
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: