Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

Community Forums

Is this Media Hype or Fact?  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 8:31 am  

"A huge solar storm is heading for Earth, and it's likely to hit tomorrow. It may trigger the Northern Lights in parts of Scotland and northern England."

What say you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5494489/Huge-solar-storm-set-slam-Earth-TOMORROW.html

😎

"I,d rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"....Jimmy Buffett
"All I know is, if you look around at the human race you've got to wonder what the hell God was thinking!" ...Lee Marvin, "Paint Your Wagon"

ReplyQuote
Tyler Parsons
(@tyler-parsons)
500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 9:21 am  

True.  Pi Day!

Space Weather Prediction Center

PLS OR-WA-ID, CFedS

FL/GA PLS. liked
ReplyQuote
FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 9:53 am  

@tyler-parsons

Dang! forgot all about that. Have to make sure I have all the necessary supplies.  😉 

3.14159 (can't remember the rest)

3 drops Grenadine

14 drops pineapple juice

15 oz. Rum

9 ice cubes crushed

Happy Pi Day!  😎 

"All I know is, if you look around at the human race you've got to wonder what the hell God was thinking!" ...Lee Marvin, "Paint Your Wagon"

ReplyQuote
Andy Nold
(@andy-nold)
1,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 9:59 am  

http://spaceweather.com/

“A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!” - Jebediah Springfield

ReplyQuote
Bill93
(@bill93)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 10:10 am  

Darn.  Wednesday is probably not a good day for the GPS session I had in mind.  Between temperatures that are hard on batteries, my other commitments, and now this, I'm not getting many opportunities.

ReplyQuote
gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 11:09 am  

Note that NOAA classifies this as G1: Minor event. Which translates to MINOR EVENT

I see these notices  several times a year, and am usually not inundated by calls from users in the field experiencing difficulties. Often a user sees a notice or hears about one and then might suspect that something else awry with their connection or settings is actually space weather. But on some (very rare) occasions there is heightened Iono activity and it does make for less than optimal sessions.  

I'll plot the Iono plots from our RTN after those days and and not expecting they will be out of the ordinary. But who knows for sure.

G1

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind,
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're are no friends of mine...

Peter Ehlert, Brad Ott, FL/GA PLS. and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote

iGage IG8

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 11:11 am  

Bill,

It is only forecast to be a G1 event, so not as bad as the Guardian implies.  The cause is a stream of high velocity solar wind emanating from a coronal hole not a CME of Carrington proportions.  Thursday or Friday would be better observation days. 

I use this 7-day plot of K and A indices web page because it shows conditions at three different stations with Boulder being in my back yard (also the estimated planetary K and A).

Station K and A Indices

You may wish to track the indices next week for the "GPS on Bench Marks" program.

ReplyQuote
Wendell
(@wendell)
2,500+ posts Admin
March 13, 2018 11:44 am  
Posted by: gschrock

Note that NOAA classifies this as G1: Minor event. Which translates to MINOR EVENT

I was just wondering if you could be a little more clear about the expectation of this solar event. Will it be a minor event?

Your website is a valuable business asset. Why not treat it like one?
Harness Media provides responsive WordPress Website Design and Website Care services.
We also have great reviews from our clients!

ReplyQuote
FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 1:13 pm  

@gschrock

"Which translates to MINOR EVENT"

I don't use GPS so I'm not concerned, however, a "minor" scratch on your body can become infected and cause all kinds of problems. I don't want to sound like the devil's advocate, but who really knows what may or may not happen.  😎 

Wendell liked
ReplyQuote
gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 2:22 pm  
Posted by: Wendell
Posted by: gschrock

I was just wondering if you could be a little more clear about the expectation of this solar event. Will it be a minor event?

Good point Wendell.... I'll take a crack at it.

I would hazard to guess it would be somewhere between a lowercase "minor" and an uppercase "MINOR" level space weather event. It might result in low-to-moderate anxiety in pre-event and during event periods, but with a higher probability of mild disappointment to moderate bemusement in the post event period. There might be a slight chance that some crews might cite said alarmist UK article as a reason for being slightly behind schedule (or explaining a longer than usual lunch period) for said days. 

But we'll all know for sure by Thursday or Friday. In the interim, wrapping ones lunch in tinfoil could be a good idea as to be able to fashion from it (after lunch of course) appropriate headgear should the anxiety level rise above moderate to high.

ReplyQuote
R.J. Schneider
(@rj-schneider)
1,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 2:37 pm  

'There might be a slight chance that some crews might cite said alarmist UK article as a reason for being slightly behind schedule (or explaining a longer than usual lunch period) for said days."

You're gonna be so embarrassed if this minor event triggers the pole reversal that's looming out there.  😊 

~the field crew~

field crew

ReplyQuote
R.J. Schneider
(@rj-schneider)
1,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 4:48 pm  

Then there's the Chinese Space Station falling to earth. Not a GPS expert, but if that lands on your R10 and bipod you can probably expect some interference.  That should be the next major/minor space event in the near future.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/19000-pound-space-station-falling-uncontrolled-back-to-earth/

They're not sure where that will impact until several hours before.

field crew

ReplyQuote

PPI Curated Bundles -- Everything you need to pass

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 5:16 pm  

Look at it this way, if a Chinese space station land on your R10 you can work the rest of your days safe in the knowledge that the chances of it ever happening again are astronomical

“Civilization is not an endless succession of inventions and discoveries, but the task of ensuring that certain things last.”
— Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ReplyQuote
gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 7:45 pm  
Posted by: R.J. Schneider

'There might be a slight chance that some crews might cite said alarmist UK article as a reason for being slightly behind schedule (or explaining a longer than usual lunch period) for said days."

You're gonna be so embarrassed if this minor event triggers the pole reversal that's looming out there.  😊 

~the field crew~

It is always good to reverse the pole and reinitialize 😉

- the Motley Crue

ReplyQuote
gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 1:22 pm  

Today's iono status:  pretty ordinary. slight elevation at the end of the day (GPS time). But often see worse when there are no warnings. These would be modeled errors (or expected for single base beyond 10km), network is OK unless they go into and sustains in the red...

I95 SEWA 031418

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register