Community Forums

Community Forums

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Is anyone using CORS rinex to do Post-Processed Kinematic Surveys?  

Page 1 / 2

Frank Willis
(@frank-willis)
500+ posts

CORS provides for downloading their rinex data for no charge.  Is anyone using their GNSS receiver data exported to rinex to do post-processed kinematic surveying?  if so, I'd like to learn how you are doing it.

10 Replies
Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)
5,000+ posts

A lot of surveyors did it in the past, but most have graduated to more complex RTK, Network RTK, or proprietary systems. It is still as good as it was in the past, but other systems can be better or more importantly more time economical after the initial investment.

My recommendation is to get a post processor that can create a VRS position within your survey from available CORS data. I did that years ago using GNSS Solutions, which automatically download the three nearest CORS, and created the VRS position and VRS observation file to be used within your post processed PP RTK. GNSS Solutions is no longer supported by Thales/Magellan/Trimble, so you need to do some searching. It is just as easy for me to set up a base, then use an OPUS/OPUS-RS position to post process from.

How do you do it? is too open a question.

Ask again giving information of what GPS toys and tools you have and what your budget is to get more.

Paul in PA

idest
(@gms)
2,500+ posts

There is a bit of a boom in PPK post-processing as more folks use UAS and mobile mapping. You can find PPK processing options in nearly any major survey office software (e.g. Leica, Trimble, Topcon) and many of the lower cost ones (CHC, Effigis, etc).  One of the big outfits (cant say sry) is soon to announce a online PPK post processing service. How to is a nebulous subject, but is not much different from static post-processing, and in the office software suites it is pretty intuitive and easy to learn.

X-PAD Ultimate from iGage

Williwaw
(@williwaw)
1,000+ posts

Yes, not all that often but last Friday I was tieing down several BLM corners to wrap up an extensive design survey and found myself outside radio range and did a half hour static on my last corner tie of the day and found my base had shut down early on me due to a failing battery and cold temps. There happens to be a CORS station 5 miles away. I'll download the data through the NGS site and substitute it for my base in TBC for post processing. By processing all the day's work using both my base and CORS independently I should be able to get a decent solution, I hope. The corner was in fairly dense forest and may be pretty noisy. Fingers crossed.

1 Reply
Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)

5,000+ posts

@williwaw

With a half hour observation you have a chance at getting an OPUS-RS solution in the Anchorage area. email me the RINEX file and I'll give an opinion or even submit. It might need some cleaning up.

Paul in PA

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

I'm confused about the definitions.

Post Processed Kinetic, of course, is distinguished from Real Time Kinetic by being processed back in the office rather than at the time of occupation in the field.

But what about the Kinetematic part? Drones definitely are kinetematic, with points being captured along a continuously moving path.

But it seems like both terms get used for operations where a short time is spent with the receiver stationary on each fixed point. Why is that still kinematic?

So what does it take to make a Static observation? Usually we think of an occupation of many minutes to some hours for Static. Does more than X minutes make it Static?

The other variable is what data you process against, and thus the distance between the rover and the reference.  We tend to think of Static as processed against distant references like CORS. Does the reference source affect the name?

So if I set up a base for a few hours and process it later with OPUS, and occupy many points with a rover to collect files for a few minutes each to process against the base file, what is the right name?

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top