Community Forums

Share:

I remember when...  

Page 1 / 2

RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts
Posted by: @gschrock

Before NTRIP we would have had to do modem banks (ugh!) and/or oddball proxy server setups... 

@gschrock 'S comment got me thinking.

I remember when:

• We used to have to type on manual typewriters
  • If you wanted to know the distance, you got out the tape and measured it
  •  If you wanted air conditioning, you rolled down the windows of the truck
  • Your data collector was a pencil and a field book
  •  
13 Replies
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)
100+ posts

A search of NTRIP says origin around 2004.  We were streaming corrections through a serial port to a software converter TCP/IP (talltech technologies I think) and through our network to a static ip and port - picking up same with a cdma modem in the field.  This was in 2000/2001 and took awhile to stabilize as Verizon kept changing their network protocols.  Not much different than RTK today, just more moving pieces.  

2 Replies
Monte
(@monte)

500+ posts

@hpalmer

I understand the 2004, 2000/2001 and the word Verizon.  I am much more in tune with RADAR, such as if I wanted to know a piece of information, it required at best an encyclopedia, maybe a trip to a building I could research it.

gschrock
(@gschrock)

2,500+ posts

@hpalmer

We had NTRIP on our network in 2002. The RTCM approved the BKG implementation around the time you noted. And yup, cell hell still bedevils us in some places.

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)
2,500+ posts

I remember when during "gas wars" Sunoco 190 was 18.9 cents/gallon and smokes (cigarettes) were 0.25 cents/pack. And Doctors smoked! 😎 

3 Replies
A Harris
(@a-harris)

5,000+ posts

@flga-pls-2-2

That was when it cost $8 for a date that included driving 100 miles to Dallas, Tx, having a country style buffet meal and going to the Twin Drive In for a movie.

$8 was also a day's pay.

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)

2,500+ posts

@a-harris

Yea, and the drive in used to cost $1.00/carload. And it didn't matter what was playing never watched the movie anyway. 😉 

Nice parking place for a 3 hour necking period without law enforcement sneaking up on you with a flashlight trying to see if anyone was naked or half naked! 🙄 

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts

@flga-pls-2-2

I had a friend in high school whose job on the weekends (at least part of his job) was to go around after the movie and tell the people in the cars that the movie was over.  He said he saw some strange sights.

Andy

SPMPLS
(@spmpls)
250+ posts

And the office smelled like ammonia most of the time.

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

I remember when the golf greens were sand, my father was upset cause he had a stake dinner at a night club and they charged him $1.50, a candy bar was a nickel.

2 Replies
paden cash
(@paden-cash)

5,000+ posts
Posted by: @mightymoe

I remember when the golf greens were sand, my father was upset cause he had a stake dinner at a night club and they charged him $1.50, a candy bar was a nickel.

Hell's Belles...why for was he eating stakes?... Steaks are much more digestible. 😉

RADAR
(@dougie)

2,500+ posts

@paden-cash

I thought maybe his dad was a beaver:

Image result for wink wink gif

I remember my Grampa complaining that the price of a loaf of bread doubled. It went from a nickle to a dime...

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: