Geo-Tronics.com SALES, SERVICE & SUPPORT

Community Forums

I got fired....  

Page 1 / 2 Next
lakehouse21
(@lakehouse21)
20+ posts Registered

I had a client call and inform me that I was taking too long to get a job completed and would be finding another surveyor.

Didn't even get the chance to tell them that they have a 10 overlap on their north line....

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 4:54 am
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Registered

And, your price was 1650.
And, he'll hire your competition, who will NOT address the problem, and will only charge 850....
Lovely, huh?
N

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 5:03 am
FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls)
2,500+ posts Registered

lakehouse21, post: 450600, member: 2751 wrote: Didn't even get the chance to tell them that they have a 10 overlap on their north line....

If I were you I would be glad to loose that job.

"I,d rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"....Jimmy Buffett
"All I know is, if you look around at the human race you've got to wonder what the hell God was thinking!" ...Lee Marvin, "Paint Your Wagon"

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 5:10 am
Paul E
(@paul-e)
5+ posts Registered

But did you get paid for the time spent, if any?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 5:15 am
lakehouse21
(@lakehouse21)
20+ posts Registered

Paul E, post: 450607, member: 10807 wrote: But did you get paid for the time spent, if any?

I probably had 10 hours of field and 3 hours office to figure out there was a 10'+- overlap. Actually not upset about it at all

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 5:42 am
lakehouse21
(@lakehouse21)
20+ posts Registered

lakehouse21, post: 450612, member: 2751 wrote: I probably had 10 hours of field and 3 hours office to figure out there was a 10'+- overlap. Actually not upset about it at all

And I won't see a dime...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 5:43 am
Paul E
(@paul-e)
5+ posts Registered

lakehouse21, post: 450612, member: 2751 wrote: I probably had 10 hours of field and 3 hours office to figure out there was a 10'+- overlap. Actually not upset about it at all

So if the 'boss' doesn't pay you for a day, your ok with that? If the employee gets paid, so should the office. I would be glad that I am not liable for the survey but as a business owner, I still need to be paid! (Yes I do have a clause on the estimate stating I will be paid up to the point of dismissal)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 5:48 am
Jim in AZ
(@jim-in-az)
2,500+ posts Registered

lakehouse21, post: 450613, member: 2751 wrote: And I won't see a dime...

You're returning your retainer?

Knowledge is wonderful but understanding is the key.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 6:19 am
lakehouse21
(@lakehouse21)
20+ posts Registered

Paul E, post: 450614, member: 10807 wrote: So if the 'boss' doesn't pay you for a day, your ok with that? If the employee gets paid, so should the office. I would be glad that I am not liable for the survey but as a business owner, I still need to be paid! (Yes I do have a clause on the estimate stating I will be paid up to the point of dismissal)

I will send a bill,

Jim in AZ, post: 450615, member: 249 wrote: You're returning your retainer?

I won't be returning the retainer, it will be deducted from the amount due and the remainder billed.

I was just assuming they won't pay me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 6:56 am
spledeus
(@spledeus)
2,500+ posts Registered

Did you put a timeframe in the proposal? We never do. I have lost a few projects because I refuse to.

Currently I have several fires that came in: Emergency septic upgrades for failed systems. How can i male them wait even though your project was first in line?

J. Thaddeus Eldredge, PLS, CFM
Eldredge Surveying & Engineering, LLC

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 7:33 am
mattharnett
(@mattharnett)
250+ posts Registered

If they paid you a deposit (retainer), the other guy cannot start working on the same project until you are paid in full or to your satisfaction (based on the retainer amount and your time invested).

Matt Harnett, PLS
www.harnettsurvey.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:02 am
Tommy Young
(@tommy-young)
1,000+ posts Registered

mattharnett, post: 450632, member: 6458 wrote: If they paid you a deposit (retainer), the other guy cannot start working on the same project until you are paid in full or to your satisfaction (based on the retainer amount and your time invested).

Why not?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:04 am
Daniel Ralph
(@daniel-ralph)
250+ posts Registered

In situations like this (where I take over for some other firm), I will not start until the previous surveyor has been paid. If there is a dispute between surveyor and client I don't need to be part of that.

Dan Moehrke, PLS

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:21 am
Tommy Young
(@tommy-young)
1,000+ posts Registered

Daniel Ralph, post: 450637, member: 8817 wrote: In situations like this (where I take over for some other firm), I will not start until the previous surveyor has been paid. If there is a dispute between surveyor and client I don't need to be part of that.

I will not adopt a blanket statement like this for my business. I am not a collection agency for those surveyors that are a disgrace to the profession.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 8:50 am
roger_LS
(@roger_ls)
250+ posts Registered

If it were me, I'd call them back and tell them briefly of the problems you've encountered. Not to win them back as a client but just in the interest of full disclosure. The next surveyor should know this. Also just a good idea for your own reputation, you don't want people bad mouthing you all over town, this will give the situation some context for them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2017 9:05 am
Page 1 / 2 Next

Working

Please Login or Register

Geo-Tronics.com SALES, SERVICE & SUPPORT