Community Forums

Share:

How to drive iron pipe in concrete  

Page 1 / 6

(@sarkiss)
5+ posts

I'm using Bosch demolition hammer with a 1"SDS Max Rotary Hammer Bit to drill a hole for a 3/4" pipe. Usually 2 out of 3 times the bit get stuck and I waste time to get it out. What am I doing wrong? is there a better way like driving the pipe?

38 Replies
True Corner
(@true-corner)
250+ posts
Posted by: sarkiss

I'm using Bosch demolition hammer with a 1"SDS Max Rotary Hammer Bit to drill a hole for a 3/4" pipe. Usually 2 out of 3 timcones the bit get stuck and I waste time to get it out. What am I doing wrong? is there a better way like driving the pipe?

Hammer drill with a 1" Concrete bit should work okay.  I haven't had problems with a 3/4" hammer drill. 

toivo1037
(@toivo1037)
500+ posts

If your bit is getting stuck, as it drills down rock, or circle it around about 15d.  It will ream the hole out just a little as the bit goes down.  You don't want to do that too much as it won't clear the dust out and that can then get the bit stuck on it's own.  You may need to stop now and then and blow the hole out.  It may just be time for a new bit.

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

You have to let the tool do the work and just be patient and simply hold it and not try and force it cause it is not gonna go any faster.

Been using a DeWalt battery vacuum to suck the dust and bigger particles out or plug it in the other end and blow the dust out.

Sometimes it takes a second drilling and cleaning out to complete the job.

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

It's best to drive them, before the concrete hardens...

N

Page 1 / 6