Community Forums

How bad an error  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

LRDay
(@lrday)
2,500+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 10:25 am  

New subdivision plat.  Four sided boundary.  Description is right.  The boundary description takes you around the boundary.  Two of the lines on the plat are flipped, North East and South East instead of  South West and North west.  Being corrected with new plotted Mylar.

How bad is this error?  Description is right and bearing distances on the map are correct just flipped bearings.

ReplyQuote
Scott Ellis
(@scott-ellis)
1,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 10:50 am  

It is a common mistake Surveyors do, when I plotting up the deed if it does not close or just has a line going where it is not suppose to go, the first thing I check is the bearings making sure they were not flipped. 

To a Surveyor not a bad error more annoying than anything, but one that we all can make.

ReplyQuote
Peter Ehlert
(@peter-ehlert)
2,500+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 11:56 am  

@lrday the Map shows 4 vectors that are actually correct? if so Then it is Not an error at all.

Perhaps unconventional labeling depending on local custom... the Lines are the Lines

The Manual Of Instructions ... a History Book

ReplyQuote
Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)
5,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 11:57 am  

"New Subdivision Plat"?

On most subdivision plats, only the outbounds of the entire subdivision are in what might be called order. There is no reason that very single lot must be marked in bearings such that every individual lot closes perfectly.

Please re-explain your problem.

Paul in PA

ReplyQuote
aliquot
(@aliquot)
500+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 12:18 pm  
Posted by: LRDay

New subdivision plat.  Four sided boundary.  Description is right.  The boundary description takes you around the boundary.  Two of the lines on the plat are flipped, North East and South East instead of  South West and North west.  Being corrected with new plotted Mylar.

How bad is this error?  Description is right and bearing distances on the map are correct just flipped bearings.

If I understand you correctly there is no error. Except for  the rare exception of the local jurisdictions that require a specific order to the bearings, this is entirely up to the surveyor. Sometimes a specific direction may result in having to "educate"  an attorney, local government official, or title company employee, and I know some surveyors have a specific order and direction that they like to go, but in those cases only the surveyor signing the mylar can decide how bad they think the "error" is. 

Peter Ehlert liked
ReplyQuote
Jim in AZ
(@jamesf1)
100+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 1:11 pm  

Its not an error at all!

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius

Jp7191 liked
ReplyQuote

Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
1,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 1:27 pm  

Around here that is called a "Scrivener's Error" and is easily corrected with re-recording the plat.

Andy

ReplyQuote
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 1:55 pm  

I do not consider that to be an error. Poor practice, perhaps, if we are talking about an exhibit map (ie/Exhibit B) to go with the legal description (Exhibit A)

"Convention is like the shell to the chick, a protection till he is strong enough to break it through." Learned Hand

ReplyQuote
thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 7:34 pm  

When subdividing, the description in the owners certificate and the dimensions on the plat should match. I wouldn't put out a plat that didn't, but as a County Surveyor I wouldn't reject it either. There is no law, rule or ordinance where I work that demands the directions read the same, only that they match.

CFedS, PLS ID-OR-WA-UT-NV

ReplyQuote
Brian Allen
(@brian-allen)
1,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 7:56 pm  

Barring any statute, local ordinance, etc. forbidding it, bearing labels on lines on a plat that do not match the direction in the boundary description is in no way an error, let alone anything that would even come close to invalidating the plat, or indicating the surveyor was incompetent or not meeting a standard of care.  I wouldn't waste the mylar "fixing" it.

This post was modified 2 weeks  ago by Brian Allen

JPH, Jp7191 and NotSoMuch liked
ReplyQuote
LRDay
(@lrday)
2,500+ posts Member
October 12, 2018 9:15 am  

It was sort of an "error" that I made.  It took all of 30 seconds to bring them up in TBC and click "flip the bearing".  I should have been more careful.  It did take me 5 hours to get a new Mylar and deliver it to my client with new signatures.  So a wasted day in a sense.  The county demanded the change and to fight it would have delayed and harmed my clients project.  It won't happen again.  I didn't consider it a "fatal" mistake.  The description is correct and the map is right, but whatever!

Ethan and Jp7191 liked
ReplyQuote
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Member
October 12, 2018 9:43 am  

You're not the first to do that. I've had the same issue with the checkers. I know of one surveyor who puts both directions on the plat if there are more than one description for a line. I've even watched two argue about which side of the line to put the labels. I checked out at that point. It isn't a mistake to me, but it's usually a big deal to the checkers. Did they already review it before everyone signed?

ReplyQuote

Affordable, targeted advertising at RPLS Today

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts Member
October 12, 2018 9:58 am  

Take care of the client's needs first.  It is not something I would worry about one way or the other.  However, most people who lack our familiarity with bearings would assume an error had been made.

ReplyQuote
Peter Ehlert
(@peter-ehlert)
2,500+ posts Member
October 12, 2018 10:03 am  

first check: all lots must be labeled clockwise.

second check: lines may not be labeled twice

third check: all lots must be labeled clockwise.

etc.

The Manual Of Instructions ... a History Book

Ethan liked
ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
October 12, 2018 2:12 pm  

I attempt to have all my platwork read clockwise.

Some tracts are so small they get a direction on one side of the line and distance on the other.

Rookie interns from clerk, title and attorney offices get "read in" once and after that I don't even call back.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Affordable, targeted advertising at RPLS Today

Working

Please Login or Register