Community Forums

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Horizontal and vertical precision with no positions used  

casualsurveyor0192
(@casualsurveyor0192)
5+ posts

I am taking readings with horizontal and vertical precision’s or around .1 which is fine for my line of work on Trimble r10. However it is above my tolerance. So when I force store the point, it will read h and v errors of around .1 but in positions taken part of the point information on the controller it says 0. How many I have low precision’s but no positions taken. And how accurate are these points?

Topic Tags
6 Replies
John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts

If you load it into tbc, or look at the .jxl file does it show any positions? 

I always set the tolerance appropriate for the type of survey I am doing. Ground topo needs less accuracy than a monument, for example. As you mention, you don't need high accuracy, so why not put in a realistic tolerance?

2 Replies
casualsurveyor0192
(@casualsurveyor0192)

5+ posts

@john-hamilton

how do i view the .jx;l file?

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)

2,500+ posts

@moosesamuel

Trimble has a utility to convert a .job file to a .jxl and .dc file. I have one that runs in the background, and automatically converts any job file I put in the folder. 

Go to https://www.trimble.com/globalTRLTAB.aspx?nav=Collection-62098 and download the auto convert program. 

A .jxl file is ascii (as is a .dc file), but in extended markup language. It is readable. Once you understand the schema it is easy to decipher. 

Rover83
(@rover83)
250+ posts

What are the time and epoch constraints settings for Topo and Rapid Points in your survey style, and which one are you using?

1 Reply
casualsurveyor0192
(@casualsurveyor0192)

5+ posts

@rover83

I have time at 5s and epochs at 3. 

Visit NLC Prep Today!

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

If you are collecting "unfixed" points with the R-10, then the resulting location does not have any real accuracy. Those kinda points, usually collected in difficult situations, are +- a couple of feet or more. I've never done that type of survey with the R10 so I can't say, but with older receivers I found them to be all over the place. 

It sounds like you are forcing it to collect when it isn't ready. 

Scroll to Top