Community Forums

Geomax Zoom90  

RSS

LeroyRBF
(@leroyrbf)
FNG Member
February 11, 2019 1:32 pm  

Has any of you other Geomax users run into a problem with your traverses not ever closing?

ReplyQuote
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
February 11, 2019 1:37 pm  

Nope

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
February 11, 2019 3:46 pm  

Also no, though in reference to a GeoMax Zoom80R.  Have you eliminated the obvious problems, like shaky setups, loose tripods or sloppy sights?  That instrument should be accurate enough that traverse closures aren't a problem.

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
framesurveying.com

ReplyQuote
LeroyRBF
(@leroyrbf)
FNG Member
February 12, 2019 4:17 pm  

Yes. Two 3 setup traverses all wide open, solid ground, tripod tight, rod plumb and used with bipod. Closing in between .12 to .15 over 1600 feet

ReplyQuote
tripodita
(@tripodita)
5+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 4:28 pm  

Are you using OP tribrachs or the laser plummet?   An OP out of adjustment can add up quickly.

Bill93 liked
ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 4:30 pm  

Data collector or manual notes?  Prism offsets verified for each shot?  Do the angles close?  Lots of things to check...

Jim Frame
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
framesurveying.com

ReplyQuote

iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

sireath
(@sireath)
250+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 5:29 pm  

i find with the installed laser plumet, my closures were not that good, however switch to the optical plummet installed in the tribachs, my closures improved significantly. Note, I used tripods, tribachs for my prisms for my back and foresights.

ReplyQuote
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 6:29 pm  

The standard tribrach is weak but still decent and capable. I use Leica tribrachs.

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 6:50 pm  

0.12ft was my closure after running about 3 miles using Sokkia Set 330R, 3 matched aluminum tripods with Sokkia & Lietz tribrach and prism targets for BS & FS and turning single angles.

"Do the tighten up"

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 10:38 pm  

i find with the installed laser plumet, my closures were not that good, however switch to the optical plummet installed in the tribachs, my closures improved significantly.

I'm not crazy about the laser plummet, it has some real usefulness when plumbing over marks deep in a well, but otherwise I prefer an optical tribrach.  The only reason I don't swap out the tribrach is that I'd lose the ability to easily check the plummet adjustment by rotating the alidade.  Instead I spend a lot of time crouching down with a while plastic card to see where the center of the laser dot really is.  (Down, check, up, adjust, repeat as needed, usually about 3 times per setup.)  Keeping the laser intensity at 20% also helps, shading it when checking.

Jim Frame
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
framesurveying.com

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
February 12, 2019 11:33 pm  

Never used a laser plummet.

After using laser sites to peg scopes on rifles and distos in the bright sunshine, I envision carrying a tube along as a shade, something like a length of perforated pvc sewer pipe to hang down from the tripod in order to see the light on the setup mark.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
tripodita
(@tripodita)
5+ posts Member
February 13, 2019 4:31 am  

Sorry, I didn't mean to get the discussion sidetracked to laser plummets.   I like them because I find them a little faster to set up, and less chance of getting out of alignment, but I dislike them because of sunshine and because you need to wait for leica to go through its initialization before it will turn on.  The shadow of the instrument case does help with the sunshine.  NOW, back to poor closures...

ReplyQuote

Take the next step in your career, pass your licensure exam with PPI2Pass

mattharnett
(@mattharnett)
250+ posts Member
February 18, 2019 11:14 am  

If it never closes, you have some other issues at work.

Matt Harnett, PLS
www.harnettsurvey.com

ReplyQuote
Take the next step in your career, pass your licensure exam with PPI2Pass

Working

Please Login or Register